Medicine

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Everyone, have not been here in a while. My GP put me on a 400 mg of Acyclovir a day for my recurring shingles. I still am having all the symptoms (pain, tiredness, groucheness etc.) except the blisters so far. My leg acts like they are going to come out,but haven't yet, Not to mention the cost. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem. Sometimes I wonder if taking the meds everyday is worth it considering I still go through everything anyways. Not to mention the meds make me want to sleep. I usually sleep a lot before a break out, so why take meds that do the same. I apologize for rambling just frustrating. Jmac

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

hi Jmac2 ive had recurring shingles now for 12years. ive been taking Aciclovir 400mg twice a day for the past 6 months and have not had an outbreak since.prior to taking daily antivirals i was having shingles every 3months.so i would recommend keep taking them. i have tried everything else even the shingles vaccine but that didnt help.hope you soon feel better
    • Posted

Thank-you for getting back with me. I will continue so I do not have break outs. I just wish all the symptoms that come with them would go away also.
  • Posted

I also take Acyclovir 400 mg a day but I still get breakouts from time to time. My doctor puts me on 800 mg 5 times a day for a week to knock out the oncoming out break.
    • Posted

Thank-you for getting back to me. I am glad that I haven't had any blisters so far,but I sure hate all the other stuff that comes with shingles. I would really like for them to go away also. But am happy for now.
  • Posted

Don't ever apologize for feeling the way you do!!  This is an awful illness and I could never imagine having this over and over.   There has to be a reason why so many are experiencing flare ups more often?   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.