Medicine Alternative Help...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I am currently taking medicine for high blood pressure & cholesterol. I am currently unemployed and down to my last refill, I am looking for alternative methods to help keep my HBP&C down. I run two miles a day, eat clean and drink plenty of water. I found that I can take fish oil for my cholesterol but I'm looking for an OTC for the high blood pressure.

Thanks for any advice.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jorgesanamejr 

Where are you located? Do you not have access to free medcal treatment?

• Posted

Hi Jason1098, I'm located in Georgia and sadly no I don't have access to free medical treatment.

• Posted

I'm tempted to make a trite comment about moving to a civilised country but that would be unhelpful ;-)

Be very wary of the whole "herbal remedies" thing. Herbal remedies that work have been tested, peer reviewed and are called "medicine" the others are called "Tea"

Eating lots of fresh fruit and vegetables will not hurt as will the exercise, drinking at least 2 litres of water per day (1 litre = 1.76 UK pints / 2.1 US pints) and reducing the salt and sugar in your diet but there comes a point where you physically cannot eat enough vegetables to reach the clinically required levels of active ingredient. For example onions contain a substance that has been indicated to reduce blood pressure but to get enough of it to have an effect you'd need to eat three times your body weight in onions.

• Posted

Hi Jason

I believe your referring to Quercetin, with reference to the red onion for lowering blood pressure. You just need to take a quercetin supplement. 

• Posted

Have you tried Nattokinase, it’s a fermented soya product, it works wonders for High Bp and circulatory disorders. It can actually dissolve blood clots. I have recently started taking it as I don’t want to take meds for my high Bp anymore. 
    • Posted

Gillian68, I've never heard of Nattokinase but I'll do some research. Do you take it in pill or liquid form? I once tried Valerian tea to lower BP but it lowered too much and put me to sleep lol.

• Posted

I take it in capsule form, although I’ve only been taking it for a few days, I’ve already noticed the swelling going down on my left ankle, I have quite bad varicose veins, and a lot of pain in my legs and feet, but haven’t felt any pain since I started taking these. Their great for circulation, breaking up blood clots, lowering Bp and reducing cholesterol levels.  Yes, valerian would put you too sleep 😁 it’s a carminative and sedative. 

• Posted

Have you shared your situation with the doctor? Have you contacted the public health department in your community? They may be able to help you with rx meds. Ask your treating doctor or nurse if they can help you with samples of the RX meds to get you 15 or 30 days worth. Contact social services in your community this is different than public health department. See if you qualify for Medicare or Medicaid. Ask staff in these depts for suggestions on ways to get your Rx meds. You are not alone in your situation. There is help available. You need to start asking. Keep your chin up. You'll be okay!

• Posted

Ps sorry to here about your employment issue. Keep applying you'll find something soon. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi

You seem to be doing all the right things and I agree that limiting salt might be a good idea. Most of the common drugs are available as generic medicines and are quite cheap but I suspect it is the expense of the Drs visit that's the problem. The stress of unemployment wont be helping either.

Generally the food supplements that some people find helpful are rarely anywhere near as effective and its always worth looking around for the best deals, some of them can be quite expensive. I think the most popular are things like quercetin (Co-enzyme Q10) at a dose of around 300mg a day, hibiscus tea is often recommended and magnesium supplements at around 300mg a day. I tried all of these, with little effect to be honest. There are others but these get progressively less effective, I've never come across Nattokinase before so don't know with this one but the fact that soya products contain a lot of a phytohormone estrogen, puts me off a bit. Learning a relaxation or meditation technique might be useful or perhaps Tia Chi as a counterpoint to aerobic exercises.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.