Medicine for Crohns/ Diarrhoea help and info needed

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

I hope to get some info and help

I have Crohn’s Disease and Ankylosing spondylitis for over ten 15 years now and have taken steroids and Mezavant XL 4800mg  which always have worked, but have caused a cataract. I am now on Mezavant XL 4800mg and weekly Humira injections for 6 month. At first Humira worked completely, but for the last 3 month I now have got again explosive Diarrhoea and bleeding. I spent a minimum of 10 times running to the toilet a day, and get anxious going out and that causes stress and then more flare ups.

I had a SeHCAT Scan for suspected bile acid malabsorption which I have not got and is not my cause for my Diarrhoea.

I also take 60mg and 16mg Loperamide a day but Diarrhoea will not stop, only with Prednisolone Steroids.

Does any body got an idea about medicines like Methotrexat etc to recommend, which I can suggest to my DR in combo Maybe like Humira (which controls the pain and other symptoms) and Methotrexat?

Any info would be most welcome.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Sorry forgott to say Codeine 60mg a day
  • Posted

It is a tough thing to control for sure and I have been on Prednisone for 10 years now, because it is the only thing that helped. There is a biologic called Entyvio, ask your doctor about it and I know that Methotrexate is also used. As a last resort there is Stellara, but it is so expensive that insurance seldom approves it. I am also on strong pain medicine and that helps with cramps and the runs.
  • Posted

Wow, when I take tremodal and anti diarrhea I end up being plugged up for over a week. So sorry to hear you going through this, however it does take a day or two for the medication to actually work and I don't get relief right away.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.