medicine question

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I have been diagnosed with cancer and the doctor is willing to prescribe an Opiate but I read online of people having tolerance to Opiates.

So I ask you if you are on Opiate medicine, do you notice any tolerance to it?. Does it still work?. And where you taking it every day.

And what dose are you taking?

Any help regarding this is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

You don't mention what type of cancer or how much pain it is currently causing you and what effect it is having on your ability to function in a normal manner. Nor what the short and long-term prognosis is as far as whether the pain is likely to get worse. I'm not asking you to disclose any information you are uncomfortable sharing. But just based on what you said my personal advice would be to try it and see what effect it has on your pain levels. Yes after some period of time as your body becomes accustomed to the medication you may need to take more to achieve the same level of relief. But in the shorter term severe chronic pain I think is better addressed immediately and not before it worsens. Left untreated it can have it a negative effect on you both psychologically and physically as other organs or muscles in the affected areas may respond to the pain differently. Overtime chronic severe pain may also have an impact on your ability to think clearly and make good informed decisions about your medical treatment. Especially since your doctor recommended it I would certainly give it a try. Best of luck to you.

• Posted

I had been taking 120 mg Morphine (MST-Continus) twice-daily for the last 6 years, recently gradually reducing to 80 twice-daily in recent months.  I Also take Gabapentin (nerve-ends in one foot, from Chemo days) ,  Yes it still works, and no I don't think (??) I am addicted to it. All I can say is that my prostate cancer had spread to my bones -  pelvis/hip area before I knew anything - just pain, pain, pain. My PSA was 350 and has been at 0.01 ever since the chemo days 6 years back.  I'm on Arm-C of the STAMPEDE trial and think myself a very lucky 72-year old. Hope this helps?  Oh yes, and best regards for many years to come.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.