Medicine question on Oxycodone

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

I won't go in to the long story regarding my health and why I am on large amounts of pain killers, unless someone specifically would like to listen and might help with the depression I suffer from it.

I have recently on Thursday changed my tablets from Targinact 40/20 to Oxycodone 120 mg every 12 hrs, I take many other meds but they felt the Targinact I had been on for 5 years was actually not doing much he and my body had gotten use to it. I have started taking the Oxycodone but I have noticed it seems the package is somehow damaged, it's totally in tact and no seals broken but when I open the pack to take one out they are totally crushed, my question is is this safe to take as they are slow release.? My thinking is if they are crushed then they won't react the way they are built. I called 111 and they told me to go to A&E, this is not a overdose I have told them I was trying to speak to a Dr but they wouldn't book me a slot for a call with the local OOH service and I feel this is stupid to go to A&E for this. I have also called the pharmacy that's open in my area this weekend, and spoke to a pharmacist but her response was I needed to talk to the issuing pharmacy which isn't open until Monday.

I was hoping there might be someone with a little knowledge on here that could possible help. / advise me.

Many thanks

buggsy ??

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Bugsy - I was told by a medic that they shouldn't be crushed or chewed as it delivers all the drug at once and may result in an overdose.

Wishing you well

Susan

• Posted

Hi, I take oxycodone at a very low level (just 5 mg pills, 6 total a day) ..they are NOT the same as morphine which SHOULD NOT be crushed, chewed, cut, etc. they are slow acting for a reason

...Oxycodoe are not usually..they are for "breakout pain" and are taken before pain begins increasing.

they made morphoine even harder to "abuse'...oxycodone has no coating, is not delivered slowly as I understand it..and it will dissolve in your stomach immediately.  Now my pills are 5mg..at 120mg  EACH for yours I could be wrong and there is a coating for slow breakdown, see?

you have to read the package directions/paperwork with your scrip...or call ANY pharmacist (Walgreens, etc)  or GO to any pharmacy open to the public  just  to ask about the medicine itself.     (not you or your use)  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.