Medicines

Posted , 2 users are following.

My response to Tessa on this subject seems to have been omitted, so I will repeat it here.

Tessa, as Moderator of this website, you presumably must know about bronchiectasis but you seem reluctant to mention the medicines that could help. I myself have gained great relief through Azithromycxin, and another person recommended another medicine. Yet you still recommend postural drainage, which I have tried but found difficult and laborious - as well as much less effective than medicine. Please be open to new possibilities in treating this nasty ailment.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Diddlums,

Thank you for pointing this out. I too cannot do postural drainage.

I haven't gone deeply into the various medications because that depends on what your sputum sample shows, what bugs you are harbouring and what medications your consultant feels is the best to treat it with.

You are on Azithromycin. How often do you take it and how long have you been on it? My consultant decided to try me on it three times a week 250mg but it didn't help. Maybe 500mg three times a week or 250mg every day would have been a better option.

I take Augmentin at the first sign of infection and take it for 14 days. My infections are frequent so it is usually two weeks on them and two weeks off.

It would be useful for us to hear about the medications that other people with this condition take and find helpful.

Sorry again for this oversight.

Tessa

• Posted

Tessa,

Many thanks for your prompt response.

As I said earlier, I take 500mg. three times a week. When I first took this dose, it almost immediately quelled the sputum. I am still taking this dose, because I have been told to continue it - at least for a few more weeks, but I suspect I could now do without it and maybe just resort to it if the bronchiectasis flared up again.

As you say, it would be useful if other people could say on this website what treatments they have found helpful. I went through various other treatments before they tried me on azithromycin but the change was quick and remarkable. I realise this may not work for everyone - horses for courses!

• Posted

Hi Diddlume,

Thank you for your reply. I have heard that Azithromycin gives good results. I see my chest consultant next week and will ask him if he will change my 250mg to 500mg three times a week.

As it has helped you I will suggest I try it for one month only for starters. Have always felt it may be of benefit to me if the dosage was higher. Will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again.

Tessa

• Posted

surely both antibiotics and postural drainage are important in the management of bronchiectasis.also i find that using the flutter and the acapella both help.

the choice of antibiotics should be based on sputum sample analysis if possible.this may not be easy because some bugs in the lungs are difficult to cultivate in the laboratory. i tried 4 samples recently before getting a positive result.

over recent years my sputum tests for haemophilus influenzae (when i actually get a result) and the test shows this particular form of h.infl is susceptible to both doxycycline and amoxicillin so i use these antibiotics alternately. i thing my lungs are colonised with this bug since after taking antibiotics for 2 weeks i can only go without antibiotics for about 3 weeks before needing further antibiotics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.