6 Replies

• Posted

Does it have to be red wine? I get migraines with red wine but white wine seems ok.
  • Posted

Red wine seems to have the best combined effect with other components of the Med diet. There are, of course, many types of red wine and it may be you will better luck with one of the lighter eg Italian wines.

However, there is quite a bit of evidence that all grape products have some heart protective (and anti-oxidant) properties.

[list:a8cbcfed7c]Red wine, white wine

Grape products and cardiovascular disease risk factors.

Cardioprotective actions of grape polyphenols.[/list:u:a8cbcfed7c]

Having said all that - wine is only one component, and the others have been shown to work fine even with water.

Hope that helps,

Gordon

• Posted

What are the dangers or disadvantages of a combined mediteranean and low carbs diet?

I have been pretty much doing this for the last couple of years

It means TONS of fresh vegetables, raw, cooked, steamed, baked (not the starchy high carbs ones)

Some fruit

Limited protein foods (not a high protein diet)- mostly eggs, chicken, fish, lean beef

And a generous amount of good quality virgin olive oil

No / little wine

No / little dairy

(so not much grain and not much beans, pulses)

I have not found any info about problems from a diet with not enough carbs. Can you shed any light on this?

Thanks

PS Isn't part of the reason that the disease in the Eastern mediteranean is lower because of the life-style and not just the diet?

Being laid back and not workaholics

Being outdoors or fisherman instead of hitec in closed artificial light and poor air surroundings

\"manyana\" mentality

Taking Siestas

Less stressed and laugh more

More physically active, wherther it be farming or just daily chores of going to the market etc

Isn't the reduced stress level and physical activity AT LEAST as important as what we eat?

• Posted

I'm a 5th grade student working on a school project on Mediterranean Diet. In addition to books and magazine articles I am researching, I want to obtain some first-hand information on the subject from an area expert. I have compiled a list of 10 questions that I would like to have answers to. I would appreciate any answer you can provide.

Thanks in advance!

Raymond

My questions:

• Posted

Hi Raymond,

I have removed the questions from your post as we have decided the forums are not the area for research etc posts like this. It may be in the future we will have an area in the forums for this but in the meantime if you want to publicise this try our FaceBook or Twitter pages.

Most of the questions you did ask can be answered by reading the various articles about the Mediterranean diet linked above.

Regards,

Emis Moderator.

• Posted

Hello.

My wife Sarah is following this diet. She says she feels a lot better already, and she has been following it for only 30 days. She loves the Mediterranean diet food and she actually enjoys being on this diet.

She decided to start following it after reading ebook “Mediterranean diet weight loss results” on Amazon.

Here is her meal plan:

On Mondays she eats Greek yogurt with strawberries and oats for breakfast.

For lunch, she usually has whole grain sandwich with vegetables.

And when it comes to dinner, she often makes tuna salad; dressed in olive oil (she loves it). It’s really delicious.

For a dessert she is allowed to take a piece of fruit.

Hope you’ll enjoy in your diet, because it has many health benefits.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.