Meds Don't help Breathing with Emphysema

Posted , 7 users are following.

My albuterol treatments and one puff a day do nothing for my breathing. I struggle to breath when I do anything. I have stage 2 emphysema why would it be so bad? I have no mucus which is odd. I always get lung infections from allergies and am beginning to think I don't have emphysema. Any suggestions what to do would be appreciated.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi dixie60614, I havent any idea at all, from what you have stated, maybe a review from your doctor or a second opinion maybe? Just remember that, not any two people will respond to the same medication, even if they have the same diagnosis, I wish you all the best and hope you get a positive result, Cheers Maree.
  • Posted

I am stage 3 and have no mucus.  I find the humidity really affects me.  I live in Canada.  Try to keep the humidity between 40 & 50 and you will feel better.  Some of these drugs are better for asthma and don't help COPD.  When I took my old puffer my chest always felt heavy.  I am on Inspiolto Respimat and think it is pretty good.  

• Posted

If you've only the one med dixie it may not be enough to combat symptoms.  Check back with your doctor or consultant and let them know you are not feeling any benefit from using albuterol, You may need a steroid and long acting bronchial dilater combo inhaler as well.

When I was first diagnosed I just was given the salbutamol (reliever med) it wasn't sufficient for me either.

I never had mucus at all except with a lung infection (I was initially diagnosed with emphysema too).  

Always make sure you drink plenty of water as well, sometimes the mucus is so sticky it just lies on the lungs by drinking plenty it becomes more fluid and easier to cough up if there is any to cough up that is.

• Posted

Dixie,

Bronchodilators serve to help relax the muscles in ones breathing tubes and can help one get more air per breath. They do not however help your lungs to process oxygen. Your damaged Aveli, like mine, are damaged and have reduced your lung function. In my case, only 30% of my lungs still function normally, yet my Dr. tells me that because my blood oxygen level is not low enough (per the Government and the Insurance Companies), I do not qualify for oxygen. Meds help with mucus, but the real oxygen help that would help me is beyond my reach.

Go back to your Dr and don't be afraid to ask /tell them about your concerns.

• Posted

Larry they don't give oxygen to help with breathing though this can be a side effect.  It is only prescribed if your sats are too low ie below around 88 regularly and oxygen is needed to protect your other organs.  x

• Posted

Yes I know my stats are not low enough to get oxygen. So I'll suffer through until like so many I can stand it no longer.

• Posted

Hi, does no sound good, think need further investigation, a return visit to dr, or another opinion, at stage 2, um how was that determined, anyway stage 2 is not a struggle to breathe that's at a later stage. Would definitely seek further medical advice. Wish I could help more, it is such a difficult disease to work through and just when you think you understand it a curve ball comes your way to startle over again. Wishing you well

• Posted

sooooooo dixie, any update?  What is happening with you?  did you check back with your doc ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.