Meds for Anxiety

Posted , 9 users are following.

I see that there is a variety of meds mentioned in these threads that may or may not help symptoms of anxiety. Just want to know what works for people on here. I take propranolol when I feel my heart is going too fast but it doesn't help my anxiety. Hate having to cope with this daily battle for the rest of my life and desperate to try anything that will make me feel better.neutral

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My dear Karoline,

Please do not experiment with anxiety medication,

Please take it only after a GP consultation. Please My Dear, you do not want to take medications that may not work for you or worse still, Cause you and adverse reaction.

Steps for your anxiety:-

1. Talk- to your GP, Take a confidant with you.

2. He/she may refer you to a Psychologist or Psycjiatrist.

3. Follow advice.

Please know that the Psychiatrist will analyse if you need drugs to help you control or Cognitive Behavioural Therapy which is counselling and teaching to Make you control your anxiety, You might be prescribed some drugs to control Panic and anxiety initially.

Please do not take Medications on your own experimentations.

• Posted

Karoline i've had anxiety and panic attacks for over 30 years now and I think one of the things that has help me the most is anti-depressants even though I wasn't depressed some of them have a side effect of helping stop anxiety honestly the first one I tried worked at was a miracle it works so well helped with all my symptoms and my heart I'm not sure if I'm allowed to tell you which one I'm taking but I guess they can take it out if I'm not supposed to say I was put on  Imiprime which honestly is the first one I triedwas a miracle it works so well helped with all my symptoms and my heart I'm not sure if I'm allowed to tell you  anyway the one I've been on is imprimine and at first it will make you feel worse but if you can hold on and get over the hump which is  probably the first three weeks or four weeks once you get to the other side I'm telling you it's amazing really really work for me they start you out slowly on  25 mg and worked me up to 150 this took about six months months you have to do it really slow not been on this for years and it just really really helps . You also need to read anything you can get on anxiety especially on all the symptoms it causes because a lot of this has to do with our minds and how we think also if you find someone who knows how to do cognitive therapy that will help you so much that's my best advice and I've had this for so long .hope this helps someone who knows how to do cognitive therapy that will help you so much that's my  opinion hope this helps Renée 
    • Posted

Hi Renee Did you get Imiprime it from the doctor specifically for anxiety. And yes I read everything on the internet related to Anxiety. Doctor knows I get anxious hence the propranol but has never addressed the problem because I haven't told them it affects my day to day life. Waiting to see the cardiologist to see if my heart murmur (which was diagnose 20 months ago and had a clear scan at the time) is now affecting my heart rate
    • Posted

Yes my doctor prescribed imiprime for my anxiety I also had panic attacks ,  when I went to him I was taking Valium that was all they had back then he told me he was going to take me off  valium and I was like this is going to be hard because I've been taking it for a long time and he said when I started taking the antidepressant  I wouldn't even notice the withdraw from the Valium and I didn't I couldn't believe it every time he up that antidepressant I was able to lower the amount of  valium I was taking until I wasn't taking any at all and only on the antidepressant .  Which was incredible because everybody knows how hard it is to get off of Valium and medication like that . The reason I seen this doctor was because my doctor was moving out of state so she gave me this doctor's name and I've been with him ever since he is young and he thinks differently than the older doctors .  Anyway I feel like he saved my life I had so much anxiety and panic attacks every day for probably seven years  then he gives me this new medicine for depression and he tells me it  Will block all the adrenaline which will stop my symptoms or at least make them a lot better I haven't drove for eight years I was driving again I'm not kidding I think he saved my life and I told him this .  He's such a good doctor he's the kind of doctor that gives you a hug when he sees you and when you're leaving he's very kind everybody needs to have a doctor like him .  Anyway this is how I found out that antidepressants help with anxiety even if you don't have depression they can still help your anxiety they block all the chemicals that are making us nervous and they're not addictive your body does not get immune to them because it's pretty much  The same thing that normal people have in their brain that don't have symptoms because they have the right amount of this chemical so people like me that don't have enough and we have  anxiety and panic this medicine put that back in the brain and makes you feel better . You have to do it slowly because anytime the chemicals in your brain change It can bring on a little bit of more symptoms which it does but if you can get over that hump to the other side it's like  having your life back .  You also have to realize that people with anxiety disorders and panic attacks don't deal with stress very well once you're taught how to deal with the stress and how to think the right way then you can cut back on the medicine .  You need to realize you're always going to be prone to having anxiety but once you learn these coping skills you know how not to let yourself go to that bad place again .  Also with your heart murmur they told me I had one too and my heart skips a lot but I've had it for 30 years and nothing has ever become of it sometimes anxiety can make your heart skip beats and pound   And you feel like you have something wrong with your heart but you don't it's all from the anxiety but it's very smart of you to get it checked out to make sure that your heart is OK once you know your hearts OK then you can just figured its anxiety. The more you learn the coping skills  learn how to think the right way  and you read it and listen to it so often that you know it in your heart you know it inside out that's when you'll get better have to be relentless on this learning how to cope and I know it's hard to believe that a lot of it could be in The way you think but it's took me all these years to figure this out and it absolutely has to do with what you're telling yourself  i've read a lot of books.  I was sick for so long with anxiety and panic attacks that I got so bad I didn't even care anymore I wish that I would die I gave up  I quit fighting and you know I soon as I did that I started getting better you have to know in your heart  that this is not going to hurt you it's just anxiety and it will go away it will pass it always does .  I hope this helps let me know if you want to talk Renée 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed specific product names as we do not allow repeated posting of these in the forums. If users wish to exchange these details please use the Private Message service.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

Thank you all for your replies. I don't really want to rely on medication but some days I just can't cope. I am just so paranoid about my heart and panic when it goes over 80 bpm then all these other symptoms start happening with the anxiety but obviously you all know what this feels like. I don't like taking the propranolol but it does act as a safety net just to slow my heart down. It's all the other feelings I want to get rid off but they are still there haunting me every day. sad
    • Posted

I would start off by seeing a psychiatrist and possibly get some counseling, but I really liked Prosac.  BUT be SURE you're doctor prescribes it because you could have an allergy to it or something, just don't play with it because it alters your brains chemical balance.  But it worked really well for me. Calmed me down and made me much more happy. Best of luck!
  • Posted

Go to doctor first and discuss this and see from there. Ive suffered from Anxiety/Panic Discorder for about 9 years, sometimes my anxiety is under control with drugs and then after a few years they stop workings, Its all trial and error but the doctor is your first step

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.