Meds. for daytime fatigue

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have chronic fatigue, I recently tried Vyvanse and for a few months I felt like a new person. For some reason it just stopped working. I read about a medication called Nuvigil, unfortunately my insurance is giving me a hard time, refusing to pay for it. Has anyone else tried Nuvigil and if so how did it work for you! Thanks, would love to hear others opinions on this medication!

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I'd be extremely careful. I tried stimulants when I first realised it was ME/CFS and ran into almighty trouble after a few days.My understanding is that ME/CFS has already sucked most of the energy from the body so stimulants will be sucking out what little is left. IMHO you are asking for trouble taking them.
    • Posted

Thank you, I appreciate your input! Do you know anything about Nuvigil?
  • Posted

I don't know about those meds but I tend to agree with Imustimust's post, that taking stimulants can't be a good idea for people with ME as they probably add to the boom and bust cycle that we experience.

But I take Ginseng and Kola nut (Kola vera or kola nitida) and they help with energy but don't burn me out afterwards.

• Posted

Thanks so much, I will give that a try! So tired of being tired and fighting to try to work just part time.
    • Posted

Yes it's awful isn't it. I hope something helps you soon. razz

• Posted

Coenzyme q10 does it for me. Never had any side effects. Been taking it since 1999.
    • Posted

Thank you! I will try CoQ10. What dose do you take?
    • Posted

I would introduce 30mg then increase gradually until you find your level. I'm taking 120mg per day. I would take more if I could afford it. If I'm going to have a busy day, (with rest breaks Inbetween of course), I take extra. I don't feel it helps on the day but it helps to avoid 'crashing' the following day. Hope this helps. 

Ps there's a lot of research about co q10 on Internet. 

• Posted

My daughter takes adderall 10mg in the am, 30 XR lunchtime , 10 mg late afternoon. It setves multiple purposes, fatigue, raises her bp and heels with her brain fog.
    • Posted

I looked Adderall up and it's Amphetamine. Isn't it addictive?

• Posted

I would have thought so. It amazes me that Adderall is handed out willy-nilly to children for supposed ADHD
    • Posted

It's very worrying! eek

Vicky there are alternative ways of getting energy, such as Q10, Kola vera, or kola nitida (commonly called Kola nuts but it's a berry), Ginseng, NADH, which is a supplement.

It's surely better to think long term rather than short term energy, and long term healing.

I'd never resort to any form of speed for my ME as it;s not going to heal me and when I stopped there could be a lot of damage from over-exertomg my body artificially and when it's just not ready.

• Posted

I asked my pharmacist if she knew anything about Vyvanse and she didn't but looked it up for me. It seems that it is a US drug so isn't licensed for use in the UK anyway.

• Posted

Vyvanse is used for ADD or ADHD.  It can be very effective to help you with brain fog or energy.
    • Posted

Vyvanse is Amphetamine too! Of course it'll help short term but it's false energy, it doesn't heal and it'll take it's toll long term. See my comment to Imustimust above.

Coffee's similar, a quick fix that does you harm because of the spiking and falling, same with refined sugars.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.