Meds for hypertension and their side effects ,

Posted , 4 users are following.

I’ve been on Amlodipine 5mg daily for many years, and for almost 2 years I’ve been put on 1.25mg daily bisoprolol, to further control my raised BP, and to alleviate occasional ectopic heart beats. They work! But at the cost of awful side effects! As I’ve got older, I’m now 75, the most distressing side effect is extreme weakness in both legs, especially in the night and early mornings, to the extent that I’m struggling to keep my balance. Does anyone else have this “weakness in the lower limbs?”

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Derek, have they checked your sodium levels?  General fatigue and weakness in my legs very shortly after starting Bisoprolol was found to be due to the latter having seriously reduced my sodium levels (I'm super sensitive to the majority of BP meds!).  Just a thought.  Also, although you say you have been on Amlodipine for years, it isn't impossible to still experience late onset side effects.  Also, your body might just not be tolerating the mixture of the two meds.  You could check with a pharmacist but, if it was me, my first point of call would be the surgery to get those sodium levels checked.  

• Posted

derek56723...MrsO-UKSurrey has provided some sound advice. Sometimes as we age, the meds we've become accustomed to are no longer doing the job, which means we need something else. If you have a sodium level that's low, that can throw things off too. Do you drink plenty of liquids throughout the day?? This too is important. Not drinking enough fluids can cause sodium levels in the blood to rise. Drinking too much fluid can have the opposite affect. Truly you should see your doctor about the weakness you're experiencing in the legs. If you're struggling to keep your balance, I don't have to tell you that you're at risk for a fall.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.