Meds not working!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Suffered from tachycardia for quite a few years, had an ablation in November 21 which wasn't successful and am on a waiting list for another. Dr put me on 2.5mg Bisoprolol and 100mg Flecainide daily which worked well until about a month ago when following a chest infection my heart rate went up to 125/30bpm and has remained so ever since. After speaking to my cardiologist he raised my Bisoprolol to 5mg a day but this has not reduced my heart rate. Has anyone else experienced anything like this and if so how did they get their heart rate down?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I have not experienced this, but I am interested in how you made out taking the flecainide.

I was given this about 3 weeks ago and just can not talk myself into starting it

Any side effects?

And did it help your episodes?

• Posted

I have not had the exact problem but have found that medications generally do nothing to control my HR and/or stop SVT episodes. I think it is somewhat normal for your HR to increase when you are sick or have an infection, but it would be a little concerning if it's stayed at that rate constantly for as long as you say.

• Posted

Ive been on a couple different meds (metoprolol and then Diltiazem) and they never stopped my SVT episodes or reduced their frequency. What I did notice is a lower pulse when I was having an episode. On Diltiazem, my HR might only get up to 120 or 130 when I was having an episode, but I could still tell I was having one as they would make me short of breath.

• Edited

You're the first person I've come across who's also taken Diltiazem for SVT. I was prescribed it to take as needed for palpitations and SVT, but really have not found it to be effective in preventing or stopping an episode. Did/do you take it on a regular basis? Just curious what your experience has been with it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.