meds or stent

Posted , 4 users are following.

I suffered from chest pain on exertion for the last three monthes . I went to the heart hospital and asked for check up my heart. 2Heart enzymes were round + 45 .they made angiography next day and I was told I have two arteries blocked 100 the other is 90. They gave me aspirin creastor and meds for blood pressure.isosorbie dinitrate. Plavix.contour 2.5. And ntg spray..

After 2 days of using the meds I feel much better and no pain on walking exercise for 45 ms.

My question which is better carry on with meds for at least one year Or have angioplasty.I live in Qatar and we have a good heart hospital. Any advice please

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Qatar,

If you had an aretry blocked t 100% (that's completly closed off) and another at 90% Stenting is usually done with in a day (usualy) if not immediately ,depending on work load.

I don't know what they do with an artery that is 100% blocked, I.E .... Stenting, By pass ,etc etc....

• Posted

Hi Qatar

I would be guided by your doctors, it sounds as though they are looking after you. The blockages in the arteries will not go away on their own and the medication will not make them disappear either.  It is good that the medication is relieving your symptoms but if you already have two blocked arteries, I would have thought the strain on the other two is likely to be increased until the blockages are removed - but I have no medical knowledge or training.

Your doctors are best placed to give you the right advice and help you understand the risks and benefits of the treatments available to you. My own   understanding from limited experience is that these sorts of heart medications will make it easier for your heart to cope, relieve some symptoms and help to prevent further problems but not cure the ones you have.

• Posted

Thanks Jille..your reply is a support for me.God bless you.
    • Posted

Hi Jille,

One would of thought Stenting would of occured imedietly and medications as describe above as it souds like Qatar is also suffering Stable Angina and the medication prescribed b his doctor is working.....for now, GTN, Isosorbide Mononirate takes care of Angina (relieves the attack.....in General ) The aspirin and Plavix are a safeguard against heart attack and thins the blood out so the heart doesn't have to work so hard in Qatar's condition, Crestor is  cholestrol lowering medication which will help lower the cholestrol and I'm thinkin they ar also using it to remove some plaque build up in those blocked arteries (which I highly doubt) Generally stenting is done immediately when coronary arteries have reached the state Qatas have and then preventative medication prescribed as Qatar has ben placed on.

• Posted

Hi Samuels

Sorry, somehow I didn't see your first reply to Qatar yesterday.

Yes, I thought they ususally did stenting at the same time too. Presumably though, there are occasions when that doesn't happen for some reason...certainly, if it were me, I'd rather have them done sooner than later though!

I didn't realise scientists have discovered that Statins can actually get rid of some plaque build up, but I see from reading round that, as you say, Crestor has been shown to begin to do this if taken for long enough.

• Posted

Hi Jille

All good,what's bugging me with these messages is the laginess compared to our typing .....and all of my spelling mistakes....smile lol

can't take any Statins what so ever not even the old fashioned Questran, I have the severest of side effects with them all.

Yes it makes sense to stent whilst in there, saves performing another  invasive  procedure  (but in Qatar's Scenario at a 100% occlusion in one cornary artery....I wonder if a stent would be possible ? )  Where I am from they(Cardioligists)  wait until the artery s at 90% before stenting take place

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.