Meds question

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi every one. I'm struggling very badly with anxiety Every day is such a struggle at the mo. After a lot of stressful events in a small space of time my anxiety levels are through the roof!! Anyway I'm considering starting meds but I'm very nervous as I've never taken them before. I took one citalopram the other day and totally freaked out so I didn't dare take another but i think might need to just do it!! My question is do meds work? Do they make people better? I'd love to hear peoples experiences mainly positive ones smile

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

I have heard from tons of people that they do work! I had a friend who was suicidal and started Lexapro and has never been better, she even came off of it after a year. My grandma swears by Xanax for her anxiety. I have started Prozac and haven't had any side effects, but no improvement either. So it's about finding what's right for you smile
  • Posted

I have been going through a really hard time for the last 2 months. I didn't want to take meds either and I would start them and stop after a few days. It got to the point I was so bad I couldn't do it on my own and I don't want to feel like this anymore. I agreed to take sertraline and stick with it bc it was my only hope. I struggled everyday and my doctor told me that the meds will at first make you feel worse before you get better until they get into your system. I decided I would feel worse for a week or 2 if it meant I would get my life back and not feel like this. I have been taking them f9r 10 days now and I'm feeling better then I was although I still have a way to go. I only felt sick for the first 5 days but I still have anxiety. I haven't had a panic attack in atleast a week. I would say to give them a try you have nothing to lose.
  • Posted

Hi gemma sorry your going threw this I had a baby 5 months ago and ended up with bad anxiety and panick attacks I tried meds for 9 days but they wasn't for me I didn't want to go down that path I wanted to try and do it naturally but that doesn't mean you carnt try they might work well for you..... But I have come a long way from were I was 5 months ago I still have anxiety bit not as severe the key to recovery is to no longer care how you feel don't show your anxiety any attention I no its hard but try simple things at first like little distractions....... Also if you have a panick attack don't run away or move to a different room just stop what your doing and feel the panick say to urself in ur head come on then what's the worst you can do to me and the panick attack will start too loose power everyone can recover x
  • Posted

Everyone is different hun, I take sertraline and propanranol and yes it took 5 weeks until I saw any improvement, it was a hellish 5 weeks but I knew that if I wanted any sort of relief from the anxiety I was going to have to grin & bear the side effects, you are warned that things could get worse before they get better but that's not the case with everyone! I think the worse thing u could do is to stop and start the tablets I think once you've made the decision to take them then stick with it, don't read the leaflet in the book with all the side effects as you will be looking out for them, if you are going to have any side effects then let your body decide and tell you what they are.

They are designed to help you but everyone has an opinion on if you should or shouldn't take them and that they don't want to rely on taking tablets but you need to decide what's best for you 5/8 weeks of side effects or a lifetime of anxiety! You could also try therapy alongside medication or instead of I think it also has an effect on how strong a person you are to fight it.

I've been suffering for a while now and I thought u know what I'd medication helps then so be it, it's not defeat it's just admitting you need a little help, I still have rubbish days like today when I'm in bed cos I have a migraine but the good are starting to outweigh the bad, I have 2 small children to do something had to give.

Hope u feel better soon xx

• Posted

Thank you for your replies smile I keep having really bad moments where I'm so scared I'll never get better but then I have really strong moments like tonight where I'm like actually I CAN do this. I think I'll keep going for a little while and give myself chance to beat this. I've only been really bad for a week but hopefully I can do this!!! I wouldn't feel defeated if I took meds it's just that I'm really scared of the side effects they cause!! I hope we can all beat this. My therapist (I've recently started cbt) told me that so many people overcome anxiety. Talking really does help and I'm really thankful for this forum and all your replies smile xx
    • Posted

I'm currently waiting on the list for cbt and what helped me was reading g recovery forums online it gives me so much hope also read some books x
    • Posted

Wh3n I tell ppl I have anxiety they admit theybhave hqd it too. Its strange how much reassurance you get by ppl telling u about their experience so u can learn from it and get coping mechanism for ur own health needs
  • Posted

I had same problem, and went to Dr , took one citalopram and totaly, and I mean totally freaked out too. I got so scared , never wanted to go near antidepressants ever again!!

But I got worse to the point I thought I was going mad, still sometimes. So I want back to Dr on the 29th of October, she said the only way is antidepressants, and she new how scared I was.

She gave me sertraline, 50mg, I was so scared I only took a quarter of the pill the first 2 days, to see how I felt.

I just felt drowsy, then I increased to half a pill for about 6 days, then plucked up to take the whole pill, as my Dr said half a pill will not do anything! I'm now 2 weeks on 50mg.

I have to be honest with you, it does increase the anxiety a bit, but the Dr gave me something to calm me down, diazipam, again I got scared to take this, I have q bit of a phobia on taking meds? She gave me 2mg I took only half and it calmed me! Now I'm mostly anxious only in the mornings and when I home alone. But I dont take the diazipam, the only problem is it does supress your appetite, but I already wasn't eating at all before I was on the meds!

Now I do eat more and the anxiety is mostly just in the morning, I've still a very long way to go, so i will keep at it, this forum is really good for support, I dont know what I would do without it. Have you asked your Dr for therapy? Maybe try CBT therapy first, I'm still waiting for my Cbt appointment to come through. It really depends on how bad you are, and how long you have been trying to cope alone without meds,? Hope that helps ?

I do know how you feel, best of luck x

• Posted

Im waiting for my CBT Referral to go through its been 5weeks. I cant stay alone either. My anxiety is in the morning?
  • Posted

Diazepem will help u sleep but I woke up in a panic every day I had them (3 days). Kalms works but it takes a couple of days to kick in. I am on propranalol now and it helps with the palps but the thoughts have to be processed.
  • Posted

I just don't know what to do. I don't want my children to see me going through the side effects with constant panic attacks but I'm struggling so badly with this. Mainly massive fear that I won't get better and I'll loose everything and everyone sad I just want to go somewhere for a few weeks so I can get on the meds and get over the side effects and start to get better without my children seen their mum in a state sad it's so hard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.