Meds reduced but feeling extreme fatigue and dizziness.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi all,

Since my original post a few months ago about hyperthyroidism I have since seen the consultant who has diagnosed me with Graves. My original bloods on 23/12/16 were:

t4 52.8 and tsh 0.01

I was prescribed 40mg propanolol and 30mg carbimazole. On the 2/2/17 my results were:

t4 14.4 and tsh 0.01 so my consultant lowered the dose of carbimazole to 20mg and stopped the beta blockers.

Over the last few weeks I have been feeling extremely tired and frequently dizzy. I just had my most recent blood results from the doctor who said it is improving and my results are now;

T4 10.1 and tsh 0.02. So if I'm improving why am I feeling worse? Any advice or knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Lu 😴

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi lu-anna, you might still be over medicated. If this continues then you should consult your doctor and not wait till your next scheduled appointment. 

Are you tired all the time or at particular times? How does is correlate with you taking the medication?

It would be good if you can regularly check your blood pressure and pulse. Even better if you keep a chart including date and time. Low blood pressure can make you feel tired and dizzy especially when getting up from a low position. 

• Posted

Hi Dan, yes I feel really tired within an hour of getting up. I take the medication in the morning. Yes the dizziness is worse when I'm getting out of bed or if I've been in a low position.

My next appointment with the endo is not until the 10th April so will speak to the GP before that if it continues.

Thanks for your reply.

• Posted

You could also try to take the medication in the evening or alternatively split your dose and take only half in the morning and half in the evening. 
    • Posted

Thanks I will try that 👍🏻

• Posted

Are they not measuring your T3 at all? What are your labs ranges for T4?
    • Posted

Hi Rita,

I just have a printout from my first app that the endo gave me. All it shows is a chart and the blood results of thyroxine and TSH. Not sure what you mean by labs ranges? I've only had 3 blood tests so far December, Feb and last week.

• Posted

Hi Lu-anna, next to the value that the lab found in your blood, there should be a range of what the lab consider as "normal" for the measured parameter. Do you have that? For example for TSH is something like 0.5 - 5.0.

• Posted

Hi Rita,

No it doesn't show that, only shows my result in the column.

• Posted

Some docs only measure T4 and TSH.  All my docs here in Canada so far measure Free T3 and Free T4 and TSH every time I am tested as well as liver function tests and complete blood count tests to check for neutropenia.  I would call the lab that has done your tests and ask them for the normal ranges for each test.  Personally I think your doc is not getting sufficient necessary information by the limited testing he is doing.
    • Posted

I'm in the uk so I'm not sure that is possible but will speak to doctors and try and get some more info. Thanks Linda 🙂

• Posted

Hi lu-anna, I'm in the UK and I asked  my GP for a print-out of my test results. You could say it's for future reference. Btw, I carried a copy of the results when travelling abroad just in case I'll ever run out of medication or need to speak to a doctor. 

• Posted

Ok thanks, I will get in touch with my doctors and ask for a copy.
    • Posted

Hi lu-anna, I am in the UK and I get every 5 weeks TAH, FT3, FT4 and full blood count. It is possible, it's their duty as doctors to prescribe those!

• Posted

Hi Rita,

Just called my doctors surgery and the receptionist sad they will provide me with a copy of my blood results for a charge of 50p 😆 Will go and get it after work later. Thanks for your help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.