Meds v self help

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have had anxiety off and on for 3 years now and finally went to my GP in December 2013 , I was prescribed Citalopram and referred for CBT , after reading various horror stories , I decided to not take the Meds and on reflection think this was a wise decision . I had my first CBT session last week and though good it will not solve my condition by itself .

I have come to the conclusion that I am the only one that can manage my condition , I recommend taking ay least 20 mins a day to clear your mind ( using trance cd's ) physical exercise for 40 mins a day and eating a healthy balance.

This has improved my anxiety greatly over the last few week.

My advise is stay off the Meds , ignore your GP and treat yourself , as your workplace , family , friends just do not understand . Show me anyone on these forums that has actually used Meds and are better? I think we can never cure it but I think it is possible to manage anxiety

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My meds work for me...i'm on propananol have bn for a year now...recently had to stop for a wk and the anxityand panic returned...all in the mind...maybe..but if they help me get on with day to day living no side affects i will continue to take them...i also have just statted c.b.t..hopefully 1 day i'll be meds free
  • Posted

Hi

It's great that your Meds have worked especially with no side effects , I to have started CBT and early signs are that it could be beneficial for me. Are you not concerned that you have been on the same Meds for a year ?

• Posted

I'ts not ideal...i have tried todo without meds but the panic and anixty returned and took 3wks to return to notmal....hopefully with c.b.t and a time in my life which is calm(lol) i can live without meds...i am experimenting with herbal tea's (have to check there's no interactiom with my med's) is a pain...if your inyresyed i can inform you what i have found out(saves the leg work for you )
  • Posted

Hi

Yes I like you are putting my hope in CBT ( had my second session this week ) I think re-programming the mind has to be the answer , I would be interested on your findings with the tea,'s and your experiences with your CBT treatment.

• Posted

Hiya

yes i think c.b.t is the way forward...afterall we have trained our brains to act this way time to relearn them...i also have only bn to 2 sessions...but already have put what i've learn't into dealing with thing's that overwhealm me and it worked dealing with bit's instead of the whole thing(i have just lost my job and my appeal date has come).liqourice tea,calms you down and has loads of health benefits infact if it were a drug it would be a wonder 1.my local supermarket do a own brand less than £1.and i drink 2 cup's of chamomile tea b4 bed helps me to sleep.

Let me know how your getting on

• Posted

Hi

Thanks for your advise on the tea , I need to drink these instead of caffeine , the CBT therapist told me to cut caffeine out as it can cause anxiety , Like you I have only had to sessions but am concentrating on the worry box technique , hopefully to break the cycle. You said chamomile helps you sleep ? I have a big problem sleeping so going to try some on Monday. Let me know how your CBT goes as we are more or less at the same stage , it would be interesting to share results , good and bad.

Sorry to hear about your job , that must be the last thing you need at this time.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.