medtronic pain stimulator

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello, new to this site, I recently had a medtronic spinal cord stimulator put in, went through trial phase, it worked great, havent walked over a half mile in years, I suffer from severe spinal stenosis in l5-s1 area. I have had nothing but problems with the permanent implant ever since they put it in, they cant seem to get it programmed right, one time it went haywire and literally had my tongue hanging out from the shocks, and the unit iteself in my hip burns even when it is off, when it is on, the shocks radiate to my upper bak shoulder area, I'm about ready to give up and have it removed and consult a surgeon to see if possibly laser surgery is an option because the full blown open back surgery is gdangerous due to my variuous health issues, just wondering idf anyone else had any similar issues or advice, thanks for listening Valynn

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Valynn

I'm also "complicated" and had a Medtronics stimulator fitted 2 years ago. I had initially lots of tweaking done to get it right but not the pain from it you're having. It literally has been a godsend for me.

It may be possible that you have a faulty unit, have they suggested replacing the unit, leaving the wires?

I've also noted that the efficiency of the unit depends a lot on the person who is programming it. I have a preferred person who I let tweak mine.

Can I ask where you had it done?

Good luck with it!

• Posted

Sorry the metronicss unit is not working out , before you write off spinal chord stimulator discuss and review Nevro unit this works diffent to your unit, its worth a look, l have one fitted.
  • Posted

Hi Valynn, I had spinal lumbar fusions from L2 to L5 and failed, got another different pain on left side, leg,foot,buttock, after 1 and half year and after 5 steroroids injections , 3 months ago got Nevro SCS , help with my leg pain but not the buttock feeling burning, yesterday they did different program and I was told will help only on my leg and hip, but not where the battery is implanted , my surgeon suggested give more time to the new program if still

painful , the battery can move to a diferent spot, but not sure if I want to

due it. In mean time when is worse I take Norco,diazepam relief a little bet

for a couple hours, but I do not want to take the pain killers because In have

diabetis and is controlled with pills and  Insuline , I hear the Nevro stimulator is new in the market and is good you do not feel anything, but for me the battery is causing pain. Hope you find something that help you.

Blessing 

• Posted

Hi Valynn

Steffemz is right, there can be a few niggles, but from what you are saying there may be issues with the connections.  Personally I'd get an appointment with the surgeon not the nurses (although they are very good) because he will know where the issues might lie.  He's had his hands on you, knows your shape and where he put the connectors to the millimeter.  Get yourself checked from the connectors to the stim before you think about getting it removed.

• Posted

First off, don't quit. If the trial was a success then the unit will work. I had my permanent unit implanted in June 2018. Due to some rather severe pain issues related to the battery pack, its shape and location, I had a new battery pack (newer generation) put in October 2019. It is working much better but due to me intentionally losing weight, the area where the battery pack is located does not have much body fat left around it and the area gets painful when I am doing some manual labor for several hours. I am in discussions with my pain management doc to get the battery pack relocated and updated with the newest technology. I have had great success in drastically reducing the amount of prescribed opioid pain killers that I have had to use over the last 2.5 years. If your trial was a success then the permanent implant should eventually provide you with the relief you were hoping to get. Worse case scenario may be finding a new MD to work with. I would become the squeaky wheel by calling Medtronic patient support until the rep for your area meets with you frequently enough to bring a remedy to you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.