Mega esophagus...anyone else have this? If so, what can be done to correct it if anything?

Posted , 6 users are following.

What problems have you found with this disorder?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Joy, I just did a quick check.  If you key in: mega esophagus Mayo clinic, you will find some information on Mega esophagus.  This might be helpful to you.
    • Posted

Thank you! I've read up on it some, but was just wanting feedback from others that may have it or are struggling with it. I'll go to the mayo clinic website and read on it some more.

• Posted

Yes, it certainly will be good to hear from others who know about this and/or are experiencing mega esophagus, along with other research that you do; others may also have some sites for you to go to, to research.
  • Posted

Hi Joy i have been told I have megaesophagus when I had my dilation last year.However, I wasnt offered any information on this. I have looked on the internet and failed to find anything. I typed in megaesophagus mayo clinic but very little information have you found outanything else?
    • Posted

Hi Marilyn! No, I haven't found much info about it either. I was told by my dr that sometimes with mega your esophagus can get too wide to fix so it should be fixed early on. Mine is at 13cm right now, so I'm hoping to hear back from the drs soon to see what the next step is. I would hate to wait too long and then be at a point that it can't be fixed. That scares me! Let me know if you find anything and I'll do the same.

• Posted

It can reach the point where your oesophagus gets so baggy that it sags, and the food that is swallowed tends to pool in the bottom of it rather than flow / drip through into the stomach.   This can cause significant problems.  At that point, it is possible that the muscle tone has been lost, and corrective surgery to the oesophagus itself may well not be possible.   But that it a matter for the surgeons to advise you on.

​There are many people who have had their oesophagus removed.   the operation entails drawing up the stomach, re-shaping it and joining it to the stump of the oesophagus below the throat.   It is major surgery, but the chances are that there may be little option but to consider this.      You would find swallowing and the passage of food very much easier, but there would need to be some provision against reflux as it is almost certain the you would lose your lower oesophageal sphincter.

​It is quite true to say that it is always best to have treatment earlier so that this situation can if possible be avoided, but that is not much help now is it.   All i can say is that many people enjoy a resaonbale quality of life after having an oesophagectomy.

• Posted

Thank you so much for the info. I appreciate it! Im going to call the dr today and see where I'm at, at this point. I pray they tell me to come in and we can make a decision and move forward. Again, thank you!

• Posted

I had surgery for this at Mayo about two years ago. It was long and complicated. They pulled my stomach down and reattached it lower to straighten out my esophagus. I have experienced good results. My recovery was long. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.