Meibohem Gland Dysfunction

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have had dry eyes for about two years, just been told I have Blepharitis and Meibohem Gland Dysfunction. I have tried many drops, hot compresses, ointment at night but have not really improved. I have just been informed I have a cataract that needs operation. From what I understand the op is not successful with MGD or DRY eyes. Optician wants me to see eye consultant for a pre-op assessment but I have a long wait & her scared whether I should go ahead or not?? Any advice please???

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I would go ahead with the appt but some surgeons do like for you to have the blepharitis, dry eyes, etc taken care of first. But they might be able to suggest some other options. If you do have a lot of dryness, maybe consider or ask your eye doctor about punctal plugs to help you retain some of the moisture. They are small plastic pieces that are typically placed in the 2 lower puncta. Very quick and usually without any discomfort. I would definitely continue the warm compresses and keep cleaning your eyelids. Best of Luck!

• Posted

Well, I use honey for my severe dry eyes, i feel your pain.

• Posted

Anne, don't worry, your Consultant will be experienced in dealing with blepharitis & meibomian gland dysfuntion and also dry eyes. I have had cataracts removed from both of my eyes & both drug induced I have had dry eyes for as long as I can remember!

If you continue with your regime of compresses etc, then you won't go far wrong.

I had my first cataract done under a general anaesthetic in 1990, the second one was in 2017 under a local. I watched a video to see what to expect & everything went well.Don't be scared & talk to people who have had it done, don't listen to people who have no idea what they are talking about.

The RNIB has a helpline & I'm sure they will reassure you.

Let us know how you get on Anne & don't worry!

• Posted

"Don't listen to people who have no idea what they are talking about." Is this a necessary statement? Everyone posting is here to help and you don't know if anyone has had cataract surgery. I personally work as a paraoptometric for an ophthalmologist and refer patients consistently for cataract surgery. FYI just because your surgeon went ahead with it does not mean all will. Each surgeon is different and not all perform cataract surgery the same way. I think we should all try to be kinder and more open minded when we make judgments about people we do not know. Best of Luck Anne, take care mrsmop.

• Posted

i have been on doxycline antibitocs for nearly 2 months now and dexa 1.5 single drops and its helped alot, also i wesr make up alot and i use jonstons make up wipes and i feel they help too cause they are greasy and take off the skin they be a bit red after at night but i wake up in morning snd there totally fine!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.