Meinerz and cochlear implants

Posted , 5 users are following.

My husband recently had an implant and he has bilateral meinerz. He has been sleeping for 10 to 12 hrs constantly tried and dizzy. No black outs spells but more small episodes. Is this unusual?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Sorry to hear that your husband is having trouble, in truth this is something to discuss with your consultant, however i can share my own experience to date in case it is of any value.

I have bilateral menieres which has been treated with gentamycin which has destroyed hearing and stopped the menieres attacks.

I have a cochlear implant scheduled in 3weeks time, I did ask my consultant a number of questions and received these answers:

-The implant will not effect the menieres, it should not make it better or worse.

-Normally people can be dizzy for a few days after implant but in my case this was unlikely as the gentamycin has destroyed balance as well as hearing.

-The implant may help with tinnitus but not always.

Not certain that this helps much but good luck anyway.

Paul

• Posted

I'm sorry you have bilateral Menieres. One ear is bad enough! I believe I may be going down that same road as I now am starting to lose hearing in my good ear and have a less intense but audible tinnitus in that good ear too. Did you have gentamycin in both ears? If so, what is your status with balance. Can it be regained if both vestibular systems are destroyed?

Linda

• Posted

Hi Linda,

I have had gentamycin in one ear only but that has been very effective in controlling my severe menieres symptoms. I still take betahistine for the other ear which seems to work.

As part of my assessment for the cochlear implant i had extensive balance testing and was told that i have no balance function in one ear and minimal in the other.

To answer your question about vestibular function i think that it is true to say that you can cope, initially i struggled but slowly my brain focused more on visual input and muscle control and things got better. i can do most things including gentle tennis but it is nothing like normal balance, you always have to think hard about what you are doing and it can be tiring. I find it very difficult to walk in subdued light.

I hope that helps and good luck with controlling your Menieres.

Paul

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.