Melanoma or Health Anxiety

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am a 13 year old boy from Bulgaria so my English is not perfect.I am anxious person.But this summer my fear from death is the biggest so far.It all started 2 weeks ago when i had pain in my lower abdomen.I searched it on google and i realized i maybe have appendicitis.The pain has gone off and i thought it ruptured.I made an alarm at 4 am to see if i am alive.Doctor said its nothing without tests.I thought they misdiagnosed me and i went again they did a blood test and it turned out all fine.When that fear gone off a new came.THE MELANOMA FEAR.I somehow got to a skin cancer page and one of my mole scared me.I cried and cried i went to the dermatologist wich is 60 miles away just to tell me it's normal.Again i wa scared that she miadiagnosed me.But today i put my finger over the mole and an upper layer of it peeled like a crust.Now that part of the mole is light brown and at the bottom it was the same brown.Now it is like a brown swollen part of the skin.Now i am afraid i caused cancer by doing this.I am terrified.But how can i make my parents go to a doctor when i went yesterday.This thing ruined my summer.Do you thing its health anxiety.PLEASE ANSWER I AM SCARED

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry you are scared. That said, your English is very good. Try not to be so anxious. What you describe can be normal, including any crusting and you have already had advice from doctors. Try not to keep searching the internet as everyone can find something terrible that is wrong. Carry on enjoying your life as it is unlikely at your age you will have a skin cancer. As a piece of general advice, limit how much sun you expose to your skin. Over many many years it can cause difficulties. You have many healthy years ahead
    • Posted

Thank you!You made me a lot calmer.I hope there are healthy days ahead as i now know that health is the most important thing.
  • Posted

Hi again Chris

i am pleased you are calmer. Health is important but important too have fun, success and a long life by keeping away from bad things.

i wish you all of these things

• Posted

I forgot to say, that people in my country say touching moles or hurting them can cause cancer but others say it is just a myth.Who should i believe?
  • Posted

While it's not good to hurt creatures, in my opinion, it certainly cannot cause cancer and touching anything alive or dead is not a cause of cancer. It may possibly cause infections etc. Depending on circumstances but nothing that is  cancer related. The most common known factors, causing cancer, include smoking and those cancers/conditions which are genetic. The cancers which ladies get are fairly common too, but most are treatable these days.

Living a healthy lifestyle, eating well but not too much, and getting exercise and also not drinking too much are generally thought to promote a very long and healthy life. Keeping safe on the roads is also very important as, amongst young people accidents are the biggest cause of death and injury.

Best wishes

• Posted

No its not about touching the animal mole but hurting moles in the body.
  • Posted

Hi Chris. I misunderstood. Most people describe skin tags as moles. Best to leave them alone but if they are sore from rubbing on clothing, they can be removed by a doctor. Some moles can become cancerous but a doctor can tell at a quick look. Keep watch on any where the edges are growing. That said, at your age there is unlikely to be a problem

Best wishes

• Posted

The dermatologist sayd she is normal, but that was before i peeled the crust.I thing that it will heal like before.
  • Posted

I can go to the dermatologist after 1 month.Hope it's not late.Dont google your symptoms if you don't want health anxiety.

• Posted

Hi Chris

Try not to worry. From the description of your symptoms you will be ok. Continue to enjoy life in the time ahead. This is the time of year for enjoying time with friends

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi Chris, like other responses, it is highly unlikely you have melanoma.  I have had a melanoma lesion removed from the sole of my foot and belong to a melanoma patient group and their advice is: after having seen a dermatologist (like you have and who has told you not to worry) keep an eye on the mole. Once the skin has healed, check occasionally for any changes in shape, size, or colour.  Some patients take a photo with a tape measure so that you have a record.  I get pimples on my skin near where my cancer was and I panic which is a common response, but they go away and the skin settles down after a week or so, so try and  relax and enjoy the summer holidays!  Do protect your skin with sun screen and cover up when the sun is at its fiercest between 11 and 3 o'clock.  From a 64-yr-old: don't waste your time worrying about your health, your body is young and strong, so try and enjoy life!  :-) 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.