Melatonin

Posted , 12 users are following.

Has anyone tried melatonin for a sleep aid?  Does it mix with psych meds?  

I also want to try Benadryl because it makes one drowsy. On the box tho it said it might have opposite effect and make you jumpy!  If anyone can help me out here, please respond. Thanks. 

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi there, I'm

Sure it won't hurt taking them but you don't really want to get to zonked out as I find sometimes they make you feel crappy the next day. I wondered if it's safe to take lavender Kalms with my diazepam?? X

• Posted

Hi darl, my 12 year old son is on this it’s brilliant as a sleeper, he sleeps at least 12 hours a night xxx
  • Posted

Melatonin made me jumpy, but maybe it had to do with taking it with a small dose of Ambien. 

• Posted

Melatonin works for me about an hour after I'm out but I do still wake sometimes middle of the night. 

• Posted

Benadryl appears to be for allergies and hayfever. If it says it might make you jumpy I would avoid it. I am using Quetiapine 25mg as a sleep aid and it works every time. I've heard that I could build a tolerance to it since I've been using it for years now. But I feel confident that I could sleep without it if I reduced the dose while falling asleep at the same time each night. When it comes to sleep, our bodies love routine.

Another thing that would help is a white noise machine. I love white noise, it blocks out all the background sound. Some people hate it, but if it helps I would use it. I'm currently using Lucid Dream and Binaural Beats audio from YouTube. There's some really good audio on there lasting long enough for the whole night. Some people prefer to sleep in silence but this type of audio actually puts me in a deeper sleep than I would be normally. And when I wake up I feel refreshed and full of energy which lasts through the day. Before this I used to struggle with sleep, I would only leave the house when it was essential.

• Posted

Thanks. I have the sleep tapes and noises. My husband doesn't like them. Lol. 

I also have sinus so I thought the Benadryl might be good for both since it makes you drowsy. I appreciate your response. 

• Posted

Cathy Ann I take it all the time just 30 mins before bed. It’s all natural. It shouldn’t hurt anything , but check with your  physician first . It doesn’t make you  jumpy . I’ve never heard of that side effect, I’ve been taking them for years, and I’m off sleeping pills. Good luck.
  • Posted

My daughter was on Melatonin for years with all of her meds, she has adhd and a mood disorder as well as possible anxiety and depression that haven't been diagnosed yet. As always talk to your doctor about his/her thoughts on it, depending on what you take it should be fine. Benadryl is an antihistamine which is the same thing they are giving a lot of people for anxiety these days, Vistaril. I had a doctor tell me to take a couple benadryl if I run out of my anxiety meds, it will do the same thing as the Vistaril. Which does nothing for my anxiety symptoms by the way but it does make me slightly more relaxed which makes it easier to fall asleep. It does sometimes have the opposite effect but I think that is more about how you are feeling at the time you take it than the benadryl itself. You can try taking a benadryl at bedtime and if it helps, great, if not then don't bother with it. It realistically will not hurt you either way. Good luck!!!

• Posted

Circadin is my day to go sleep angel.

It does not cause any habituation so i feel very confortable.

Also, it should only work if indeed you do not produce any melatonine hormone, otherwise , vg. depression, it will not have any effect. In my situation the doctors found my glandula responsible for the production of melatonin was stunded.

If you take it, you should feel a strong effect after 20 min roughly. Since I take circadin I am always cheering for glued eyes... as only as a child I can remember, and actually i had some that deep sleeps as well. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.