Melatonin. perimenopause

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi ladies

I was wondering if anyone had tried melatonin for sleep ?

I just can't drop off. I take amatriptalin at night and odd nights half a zopiclone but I am still awake.

I don't know what to do.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michelle... yes, I have been taking 3 mg of melatonin almost nightly.  I had reached a point where I was getting so little sleep that I couldn't function.  I still don't usually sleep the whole night, but I'm getting more like 6 hours of sleep most nights instead of 3-4 as I did before.  I know that it can be taken in slightly larger doses, but 3 mg is plenty for me to feel drowsy.  Be sure to allow for at least 8 hours of sleep if you take it - the first night that I tried it, I slept almost 9 hours because I was so exhausted!  The insomnia that comes with peri is horrible, isn't it?  Take care!  Elizabeth
    • Posted

Hi Elizabeth

I too suffer from chronic insomnia (have posted many times on subject!)

Just a quickie, where do you buy your melatonin ftom, or are you able to get yours on prescription?

Years ago, my sister-in-law bought me some from HK, but didn't seem to make a difference.

I then tried again, in desperation, and bought over internet but was scared to take!

I've started 5htp, which has slightly helped me get more than 3-4 hours nightly...not tonight though!

I've had this problem for as long as i can remember !

Jx

• Posted

I'm in the USA and buy it at a local pharmacy without a prescription.
  • Posted

Yes, I've take it a couple times, and I fell asleep within about 40 minutes, and slept about 6-7 hours. I have also taken NyQuil ZZZ, and that worked also for about the same time. Hope you get some rest! Menopause is not for sissies!

• Posted

Hi everyone

Re the melatonin discussion, I've been on HRT for about 4 years now and love it but still find that my sleep is very disrupted - I tend to wake up at about 3am and then worry about all sorts of things.  I read an advert about Viridian's Cherry Night (which includes melatonin from the cherry, and also includes date and magnesium) which said it could help with sleep so have tried it this week.  It may be all in the mind, but I have actually slept a lot better - not on all nights, but most. The only drawback seems to be that I feel rather groggy in the morning.

• Posted

Hi.  I buy it in a health food store but it's also available via Amazon (and probably a lot of other online retailers).  It cost me around £25, so it's not cheap, but worth a try if you haven't found anything else that works.
  • Posted

Hi Michelle I have tried it it didn't work for me but must be worth a try because it does help so many others.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.