Memory

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi there, first of all a little medical history.

I'm diabetic and taking 11 different prescriptions. I am also being tested for the following pernicious anemia, celiac disease with other tests on top of this, which I can not recall.

But for some time now my memory has slowly got worse. If I have a conversation with someone, I will forget that I had the conversation within a few hours and I don't know why.

I don't think it is the medication as I have been on the same prescriptions for many years now and noticed the, what shall I call it...relapse/deteration over the past few months.

Does anyone have any ideas? All that I can add is that I now have to write everything down, so that I don't forget and put it in the mobile diary with a reminder alarm incase I forget about the diary. All this is done as and when I have appointments come in.

I am getting frustrated and annoyed with this now. I also DON'T want to pester my doctor with this without any ideas as to what it could be and not only that, I have enough to contend with at the moment.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark,

I can only imagine how frustrating and difficult this must be for you. I guess it could all depend on your age. And even though you have mentioned not wanting to bother your Dr., you might want to reconsider just in case it is somehow related to your diabetes. I wish you well and hopefully there is a solution out there for you. Good luck on your tests. Take Care

• Posted

Hi penny49988

You see at the moment, apart from the tests that I have mentioned, I am also having tests done early May as I am in remission for bladder cancer and to check out as to how my prostate is as it is enlarged. I am also with the Royal Orthopaedic Hospital, for recently having a (right ankle cavovarus corrective surgery), in which something is not 100% and may need additional surgery. So you see with everything going on, I would be concerned with the fact that I may be losing my mind and this I would not want to know, but on the other hand I would like to know as to what I would have to deal with in the future.

But a would like to thank you for your response with this matter.

• Posted

Mark,

I'm truly sorry you have so much to deal with. Good luck and I really hope that everything works out for you.

• Posted

Again, thankyou penny49988 for your feedback on this subject and I do appreciate your reply, as any help would be of benefit.
  • Posted

I can understand your worries with all you have had to put up with. There are several things that can cause short term memory loss besides dementia. 

Medications which can include over the counter medicines, there are a number of prescribed medicines too. Are you saying all the drugs you are taking are long term ones?

Excessive alcohol use which probably does not apply to you. Also smoking.

Lack of sleep this can include quality of sleep as well as quantity. 

Stress, anxiety and depression can affect memory.

Nutritional defficiency can effect memory particularly vitamin B1 and B12.

• Posted

Hi Ptolemy, I will go through your suggestions.

Medication that I have been on...well I have been taking them 10 years plus.

I don't drink or smoke and my sleep pattern is good.

But I am being tested for pernicious anemia and celiac disease, but this memory problem has been a lot longer.

But would like to take this opportunity to say thank you for any help regarding this matter.

• Posted

Mark, you're actually holding up quite well considering!  I hope you find answers and cures to all that ails you!

I do want to say that I'm a bit spacy in general...I can remember very well things I did at age 3 but not if I sent a certain email or when an appointment is or what home work is due for which child. This spacy-ness was getting worse and my patient husband was at his wits' end!  Then my dr noticed how low my b12 levels were, ordered me in for injections and I can't say I'm perfect but oh, it got so much better with B12!!  I really thought I was losing my mind or maybe showing signs of MS but all of my symptoms have at least improved and some are gone (like a "vibrating" foot)

Keep taking and looking at your notes and schedule/agenda/calendar. If you want to keep a journal, your notes may prove helpful too - treatments, foods you eat, things you do or don't do (poor night's sleep)...can contribute or help along the way.

Please don't be too hard on yourself!  The next guy doesn't have HALF as much to think about and to remember as you do... You're faring okay considering. Don't worry about pestering your dr. either. It's a dr's job to diagnose and treat you, right? Not so much our job to do all of the figuring. smile  

Speak with the pharmacist or your dr. about your meds (or google them), because I also wouldn't be surprised if some of what you're finding is side-effect related to what you're on.  I've heard people refer to "Chemo Brain" like "Pregnancy Brain" as a very valid reason for forgetting things. You don't think meds are to blame, but it could be a cumulative effect even for one of your eleven medications...you may just want to rule that out.

Good luck - and please keep us posted on your progress!

• Posted

I will keep up with what I am doing, notes and chasing up with the doctors. At the moment the only thing that I am able to remember is my medication and that is only because of my meals. As for my past, it is all a complete blank, childhood, family etc. I don't even recall my parents. The worse thing is that I don't even have any photos of them and I have not seen them for a long time. All that I am aware of is my mother's passing some years ago. I do spend some time thinking of them, but I can't picture them in my mind. Most times I do get frustrated and angry with myself, because of my memory and when someone is in front of me, it's as if I have not seen them for years, yet I am told that I only saw them within the last week or so. I even read through each reply along with my initial enquiry before I reply, as I don't know what I have said in the first place.

But again aveline, thankyou for your help with this matter.

• Posted

damn..! sounds hard for you! but don't  be frustrated... keep your head up and make sth which deviate yourself
    • Posted

I will always strive to be the best that I can, it is just frustrating when my memory starts to play tricks. Thanks for your kind words.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.