Memory finally failed me on taking my pred. In the evening yesterday my water was still in the cup a

Posted , 10 users are following.

and my tablets were still in the med box for that day. Too late to take them so I prepared for possible effects. I'm currently fighting OA in knees and hips with something else in thighs that could be my PMR. At any rate I'm forcing myself onto the tennis court for an hour at a time to keep from being permanently in the recliner. It is now the following day and nothing strange in  the way of general PMR symptoms have evolved. I'm just at the beginning of 4.0mg dosage having stayed at 4.5 for about two months. Although I have tried to blame dosage reduction on many of my pains, I cannot be certain because of the other issues such as OA. I am almost 86 and have been fighting PMR for about 30 months. So I am posting this to ask if I should have expected anything unusual in the way of pain etc. or is there a delay involved. Or is it an indicator that I am out of the woods as far as PMR is concerned.

0 likes, 29 replies

29 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

hi Paul

i split my dose so the dose i constantly forget is my afternoon dose of 5mg. i usually notice hours later when my pains return and take it then however i have occasionally forgot it all together and have been surprised how well i coped.

i say this because i can only reduce bt 0.5mg at a time and it's over a year and now at 16mg. so go figure.

Mariane

• Posted

Yea Mairiane, I expected a clap of thunder and a deep voice from above warning me of dire consequences. Makes me wonder how bad I really need the little dose I'm taking.

• Posted

You do need it.  I've managed to delay my dose I think three times over the course of sixteen months I've been taking pred.  The first time I remembered when I was out of the hosue and not able to get to it for several hours.  Probably at about 8 mg a the time.  I did feel some slight effects from the delay of about six hours. Another time, more recently, I realized late in the day I'd forgotten to take it.  More like what happened to you.  I took half a dose as it was about 12 hours late, and suffered no effects.  So my theory is, the lower the dose, and the more your own adrenals are functioning, the less likely you are to experience immediate effects.  

• Posted

house rolleyes

• Posted

Maybe some good will result. I'd wondered about my adrenals, but the test is a bit dodgy. At least I don't have to panic if it happens again.

• Posted

Test is not dodgy, it was the best test I have ever been subjected too  - one canula, and then I slept my way through it, the most comfortable chair, warm room and quiet.  I had taken a book  - got through one page and they had taken it gently out of my hand and placed the bookmark in and nearly three hours later, woke my up with a cup of tea.

Brilliant NHS.

• Posted

Paul, if I have ever forgotton to take my medication I have simply taken it  there and then at the time I remembered. Then the next day I've taken my preds at noon, then on the 3rd day back on track and taken them at 8am. Hope all is well. Regards, Tina.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.