Memory Going Bad? Is It Anxiety?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Now, I've had anxiety all my life. It didn't start getting really bad, until a few months ago. I started getting a rapid hearbeat, chest pain, trouble breathing, shakiness, a pressure-feeling in my head (sometimes accompanied by headaches or migraines)... 

I always think I'm going to die whenever I start getting a really bad panic attack. Before I had an EKG and a lung x-ray, I thought I might have problems with my heart or my lungs. AS IT TURNS OUT, my heart and lungs are perfectly, healthy. At first, it was hard to believe that that was true. I felt so awful, that I thought there was something major going on; not just anxiety problems.

After a while, I've noticed that I will forget things. It's like my short-term memory has gone bad. I've always worried about having a brain tumor, considering I've had headaches/migraines for 4 year's now, everyday. I keep feeling like I have a brain tumor. Whenever I go into a room, already determined to do something, but then I get distracted by something else, sometimes leave the room, then remember I was supposed to be doing something else. I've done those before, but for the past few days, it's like, I do it all day. I don't know what's wrong.

If anyone can help me, that would be awesome! 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Hun,

Just think how many things you have going around in your head your bound to forget what your doing, I have the same thing I will go upstairs to sort something out and completely forget what I was doing and have to go later when I remember.

Anxiety is awful and nobody should have to live with it its just not fair, but if you find a way to get through it you'll be ok. I think I've found my way but it's still hard. Good luck Hun you'll be ok!

• Posted

I am the same and I blame exhaustion, the trouble with anxiety is that even if you sleep it works your mind and body very hard so it wears you out, personally i do not sleep well but even people who do can become quickly exhausted by anxiety.

You get so much adrenaline that your body has to 'come down' from it and it does leave the mind and body so tired which causes memory problems.

Sometimes i can't even remember what i just said, i have problems counting small amounts of money and just generally cannot focus or concentrate.

It's a very common anxiety symptom, i was convinced i had dementia and saw my gp several times over it but she said it's anxiety and stress, i have been going through it a lot today, i write things down and forget what i have just written for example.

I think you sound really worn out and anxiety does distract us from what we are trying to think and do as well because it takes up so much space in our minds with the fear and the worrying that we have to go through,i hope it eases for you soon, it's horrible i know x

• Posted

I feel so depressed, because of all of this anxiety. I want to be "normal" again. 
    • Posted

I know what you mean, it really is depressing, i long to have my old life back, i'm scared that i have forgotten how to be normal and don't know how anymore.
    • Posted

Hi

My memory has also been really bad, i bought 2 x 4pints of milk in two days. Ive started writing things down especially when I go to bed so my mind is clear to go to sleep.  When you say you want to be "normal", what is normal these days? Normal dosent exist. thats the beauty of it. Just be happy your you, things could be worse. XX

• Posted

I can't believe how much symptoms we have the same and that just puts it in to perspective of how much this is ANXIETY! I am always forgetting things lately accompanied with my pressure and headache in my head. It's really horrible and I know exactly what your going though. I work with the process team at Asda and I got to do a count and then forget as soon as I start lol.
  • Posted

Might just be mental exhaustion. Do you take vitamins like b12 sub ligual and a b complex? Might help
  • Posted

Your not alone.  This our brains in an anxiety state.  When anxiety is high, our adrenaline is going, and we are in fight of flight mode.  The anxiety takes over and we are so consumed our physical symptoms of anxiety, and the flooding of intrusive, fear inducing thoughts.  That we don't give our brains time to remember what we were doing.  I have to do a lot of writing things down, placing things where I have know choice but to see them.  I use my smart phone for reminders, etc.  I am by no means a doctor, but it seems you have some hypochondria, which fits right in with anxiety.  Does you doctor know, have you explained this to them?  One thing I asked my doctor to check was my thyroid.  If your thyroid is not functioning properly, your body chemistry is out of whack.Have you been diagnosed with anxiety? are you depressed? anxiety can be a byproduct of depressions?
    • Posted

I was vactationing with my grandma for a month, at her house, which is 2 1/2 hour's away from mine, near Tallahassee, FL. I went to a hosptial in Tallahassee, because I had trouble breathing & my chest hurt. They said all of the tests they did, came back perfect. I got an EKG done, a lung x-ray done, urinalysis done, & bloodwork done. I had to ask if it was anxiety, & they said that that's most likely, the culprit. I've always been a bit of a hypochrondriac, but it's gotten worse lately, since I've been having severe anxiety. I've always had mild anxiety, but it's become severe. I'll ask my new doctor about checking to see if my thyroid is functioning properly, though. Thanks.
  • Posted

This may sound hippy but I can quickly get into your state of anxiety, within days, if I am not fully rested. I deal with headaches regularly, but to me what fully rested means is not typical of other people at all. The hours of sleep I have had are irrelevant. Today I feel great with six hours. I know this will require me to have more as the week progresses, but I've come to accept it. Rest quality of my work and play while I'm awake is also essential.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.