Memory loss, brain fog, confusion w/perimenopause

Posted , 17 users are following.

Hi ladies,

Has anyone else experienced moderate to severe memory loss issues, confusion and brain fog since going into perimenopause? Some days I feel like I have the memory capacity of an 80-year old woman, but I am only 46.

I'm trying to live a somewhat normal life in spite of these issues, but it takes a toll emotionally.

Can anyone recommend any supplements or herbs to help combat these issues...?

Thanks for listening and try to have a good day.smile

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Edited

Hi, will love to see responses on this also! Believe I’m Peri Menopausal also. Have TERRIBLY FRUSTRATING brain fog, forgetting conversations, actions, food on stove/oven, what I’m doing or even planned to do! My gosh...thought I’m losing my mind. Gives me constant anxiety about health...adds to problem...I understand your concerns & feel your frustration!  Maybe someone has a non drug way to help!!???

• Edited

Dear Femalebrain,

I know all to well how you feel. There are days at work where my confidence is so bad because I feel like I don’t know anything, like some days I breeze through but other days it’s like OMG why can’t I remember what to do?  It makes me feel so stupid and I’m the oldest in the office. It’s embarrassing! I don’t learn as quickly anymore and the young girls put me to shame. I joke about being stupid but it’s really not a joke 😞

• Edited

Hi,

I rarely write on here or say out loud as I don't like sounding negative, but inside a lot of days I feel negative.

When you posted this I was actually googling ways to fight brain fog. Some days my brain session to be working ok but I'd say 75 percent of the time Im in a fog and I can tell. Im afraid to talk too much as then I think others can tell. I feel like an air head or that Im 80 as well. (IM 46 too) I feel dumb, stunned or just not in the moment. And if I do talk to someone I feel like my brain is all scattered with so many thoughts I don't even answer them properly.

I've tried many things from totally natural to prescription meds and back to natural. I exercise every day, that does help some.

Im very sorry I don't have the answer but it's sometimes good to know you aren't the only one out there in a foggy cloud smile

• Edited

yes I feel wellweird  do you also feel clumsy and so tired, a short walk feels like ive done miles.  also hard to sit still fidgety.   have to go with the flow but do things that make you smile, its hard for sure.good luck

• Posted

Hi Debi yes fidgety me too can't stay still no sleep so frustrating is like your head is fill with meno crap makes you anxious and uncomfortable I think why me want to feel like myself laughing and having fun 

• Posted

Hi debi, yes hard to sit still I get fidgety too and my legs going sometimes I'm trying my sister call and I talk to her and others on the phone..mind do race thought times 

• Posted

Debi62095, I hear you on the short walk feeling like you've done miles! There are days when I take my dog for a walk and my legs feel heavy and tired when we have only gone 1/2 mile. Like I have concrete blocks attached to my feet or I am wading through water. I tried to explain it to my husband, it is the weirdest sensation. And I am someone who walks a lot, usually 6-7 miles throughout my day (with the dog, at work, doing yard work, etc). Also check me off for the ridiculous brain fog and there have been times when I have struggled to organize a pile of paperwork that is part of my daily work routine. Like I will look at it and think about what needs to be done next and then just can't get it done in the normal, organized way. See? I am not even sure that I am describing it well here, lol. You are not alone, perimenopause takes it toll. Good luck!

• Edited

Hi .. I'm 55 .. I get brain fog .. I find last few years I can't spell words correctly .. rack my brain 2 spell simple thing . (My work involves a lot of writing) ..

• Edited

Hi hun, my sons and my partner just laugh and say I'm having a 'senior moment' I'm so glad they have such a sense of humour about it as I know full well I am a nightmare to live with at the moment but going through this with a sense of humour is making it so much easier. If I fart due to excess gas, they will all laugh and try to do a bigger and better one. When my hair falls out I get the telly savalas or yul brynner lookalike jokes and when I wig up, the Donald Trump jokes start. Its a good job I'm incontinent and have to use pads cause I'd pee myself laughing otherwise. Just look at it as another wonderful symptom of this lovely process. It wont last forever but laughter and good positive memories do so try and put a slant on it. Here if you need me. XXX

• Posted

I'm 53 and totally in a fog most days. Can't remember names, etc... my kids and husband are amazed at how forgetful I am. It's crazy!

• Edited

I wish I had seen this a few months ago, I am 2 years older than you and going through the same thing. I'm not sure what to do, I don't think I can live like this. 

• Posted

Hello

Have you gotten better, I'm very depressed over symptoms. Any advice would help.

• Edited

Hello,

Are you better and if so what helped?

l am also 46 and freaking out over symptoms which are identical to yours. I'm really depressed and anxious made it worse. any advice would help.

• Edited

Hello,

Are you better and if so what helped?

l am also 46 and freaking out over symptoms which are identical to yours. I'm really depressed and anxious made it worse. Any advice will help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.