Memory problems on zopiclone

Posted , 5 users are following.

inhave been taking zopiclone (only one a night) for many years now.   I have noticed lately that my memory is very poor.

trouble is not sure if it's age related, I am 70years old or down to the drugs.   I am also concerned about reports in the press that zopiclone can cause cancer and heart attacks.  I wonder how does it affect the heart.    Has anyone any experience of these health problems due to taking this drug.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I would ask the gp regarding memory lost. Better to be safe than sorry. I was on zopiclone for years with no problems in my late 30s early 40s . I'm now on amitripline for sleep and they have stopped working and having a hard time getting zopiclone again. Talk to your gp but have heard they can cause memory lost so don't worry to much. Good luck
  • Posted

Hello Vivian, I have a stent in my heart and have had a few TIA's(mini strokes). I've been taking zopiclone 5mg a night for 10 months and no problems. I'm 60 yrs young and as for forgetfulness, we all get it as we age, damn !! Cancer runs in my family,so if you're going to get, you get it. At my age it's the least of my problems. Being able to have a great sleep makes up for any consequences. Quit being pessimistic and Enjoy the rest of your life !!
  • Posted

I'm 70 too and my memory is not too bad.. but short term memory since I relapsed a bit I've noticed that I'll buy some chocolate and then whilst still shopping go buy some more! I've gone down to 1/4 a night... I want to stop and hope I will next week. I only went up to a half whilst away... but I really want to stop. I've been taking them for about 9 years. I don't have any withdrawal symptoms now, but did coming down from 1 to 1/2. I don't think they cause cancer, but I don't know. We know alcohol, and smoking, and red meat, smoked foods, in excess can contribute to cancers.... maybe it's excess... or maybe the side effects ... falls and what might ensue? :-)x
    • Posted

The other replies are right! We should just enjoy life and not take ourselves too seriously at 70!!! We've made it this far ... good on us! Take Care. :-)
  • Posted

I have been using Zopiclone from Dec 1999. It has been of great help where sleep is concerned. Absolutly no side effects at all. I'm 77 years of age very fit phyically and mentally.
  • Posted

It can affect short term memory, much like acohol but usually not at normal doses and doesn't really affect long term memory as far as I'm aware, I've been on them for nearly ten years at high doses (higher than allowed) and short term I do forget things and stuff but long term I still remember childhood memories etc..

I'm 31.. Cancer, the doses in mice that caused it were about 10,000 times the doses we take.. So they said it's not a concern I don't know of any genuine studies that have taken place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.