memory probs

Posted , 10 users are following.

can anyone help me on this fibro fog thing 8mths in on the fibro scene my memory is not good all ways had a good memory bank now i start conversations and keep getting stuck mid flow either forgetting words or what im even talking about forget where im putting things. names.the more i forget the more i get stressed my gp is trferring me to memory clinic which i have found out is dementia unit so yes im scared my mum had dementia from 68yrs im 60 ,,,,, help

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi Clara

I have the same problem when in a conversation, I sometimes get mixed up and it all comes out wrong and I have to stop and think, and that is due to fibro,  im positive about that. But I have an excellent memory. Maybe your memory problem is hereditary? It is really worrying I know. Im 57 and everything starts to go downhill. You dont think of these things when your young. My husband has the most terrible memory and always has had,, so its not always down to dementia. Good luck at the doctors.

• Posted

Hi Clara..I totally, totally sympathize with you ....I am exactly the same and I find it horrifying.....I have upset family members...one in particular because I keep calling her baby girl by the wrong name...I had an email from with just one word ( Rowan. ) her little girls name.....she is my lovely nephew's daughter.....I upset my own daughter by keep on calling my baby GRANDSON AS SHE....in fact it is soooo bad, many, many people have noticed.....I went to the GP. A while ago and told her my concerns...I had forgotten my grandsons birth date. !! She told me not to worry because stress makes FIBRO FOG WORSE...

I absolutely hate it ...I..like yourself had an excellent memory.....now it seems shot to pieces....

I am trying not to worry too much, and not panic when I am asked a question that I should know the answer to, I take my time, if I can recall the answer that is fine .....if not so what.....

I will however return to the doctor if it has not improved....maybe it is down to our unpredictable sleep patterns....,!!!

Try not to stress too much my lovely, we are still the same.person that we always have been...xxx I wish you all the luck in the world....and I send you great big.warm hugs.....take care lovely....

DEIRDRE XXX🌸 🌸

• Posted

thank you and feel for you the same its horrible my mum had dementia for 2yrs hers was classed as rapid my munm in law had alzheimers for 12yrs i have nursed both so no the distressing probs it brings i have 6 grandchildren who are all called sweetheart lol a sneaky way if you forget names yes stress and panic worsen everything and i know mine is worse thru lack of sleep and a girl i work with has similar probs trying to keep up with a conversation between us can be quite funny but seriousley deep down upsetting  hopefully it will /cannot get to us much more big hugs back and thanks for your time x

• Posted

Hi Clara have you tried ginkgo biloba I am 58 I have had fibro for 20 years I did a computer course over 5 years ago and I was struggling through it until I started taking ginkgo and it helped me get through it also drinking lots of water can help with clearing the mind best wishes

shirl

• Posted

Hi clara...  I'm not sure if you can get to purchase this, it is available in most Asian markets/shops...  It is the Female Ginsing Root.  It is dehydrated and in granules in packets that folk use as a Tea, OR you can sprinkle it on food OR even just swollow it as is.  It is one of the most Highly regarded 'Antioxidents'...  It is regarded as Rocket fuel for the brain.  Believe me 'it is'...  It is recommended as a very good Antioxident for those fighting serious treatments etc...  

After my MVA I struggled terribly for about ten years till I began drinking it..  and they say to drink it as often as you like or can..  I noticed a huge difference in my brain clarity within 2 days, not long after I began painting.  I cannot afford to buy it now.  I am on such limited funds.. otherwise I would be still buying it.  It is about $38 - $40 for a packet of about 100 sachets. That's NZ $'s.

• Posted

Hi I'm the same my space has been affected too and I struggle to say what I'm thinking and can't think what I want to say at times I'm also very concerned as I wrk with young children and this staring to affect ability to wrk and interact with work coleugues and children. I've also been talking to family members that have noticed my memory is really bad some days and how 8 am with speach . I'm starting to become very worried about it as I was never lime this and the last few months it's got a lot worse I do have concerns that it might be somthing more than my fibro I have a cousin that has parkinsons and on see g what she's like it does make me think that exactly what I'm like . I am going to see the dr again I'm going to be firm this time that this is not just my fibro it's more than that I'd like to think they will send me to a memory clinc like you to see if it is somthing else . I wish you all the best xx
    • Posted

sorry to here you struggling as well i nursed my mum with dementia for 2yr and my mum in law for 10 yr so have seen plenty of distressing symptons which is whats worrying me and that and lack of sleep defo make it worse hopefully your gp will listen x

• Posted

Hi Clara , I often find when chatting the wrong word just pops out from which part of my brain I dont know , but I know its the wrong one , and yes sometimes I have to search my brain to remember somwething i never use to have a problem with , it happens , now I count to ten and start again trying to remember , we all have had memory blanks at times , I reckon its just an overload at times .

Hope you have a good day x

• Posted

it's sooo normal for Fibro..I am just really surprised that your doctor is referring you on to a memory clinic- that you now know is for dementia... the doctor should have known..Stress is the worst thing you can have for Fibro.it loves it...and to think that what your doctor has done has stressed you...grr.... It's Tuesday morning here, I noticed that you wrote this 15 hours ago...I'm in Oz..so our times different.. I really hoped you managed to get a good nights sleep.....I was duagnised with Fibro 20 years ago..I had it for 10 years years before that..like most of us on here, it does usually take a long time to diagnose it..I thought something was really wrong with my brain too, when if it's had symptoms of Fibro fig..but my Rhumotologist was right on the ball with it. he recommended I buy a certain book, which explained it all in laymen's term but written by professionals..iTunes soooo  put my mind at ease...so chillax Clara. If I had known about this blog I wouldn't have bought it though...be blessed Clara, have a lovely day....:-) xxx
    • Posted

Thank you sleep did nt work my rheumy consult was useless there was a language barrier to start with she was Greek and my gp is good but does nt seem to know much about fibro and I don't t know because of my age 60 is the reason for memory clinic we will see what bugs me is everything has a 6/8week waiting time it took nearly 6mths to get to rheumy moan over thank you x
  • Posted

Thank you I'm not on prescripts drugs only blood press thank you will check it out x.
  • Posted

Oh Clara; please don't let yourself get "get beaten up by this"....you are Not alone, we all go through this problem......I have done Exactly the same....but if you are wanting some help, I don't think a Memory Clinic is the answer....I have found my memory has improved a Lot since starting Thyroxin.....this is a symptom of Hypothyroidism too, and even though my  "blood results came back Border-line", I am really believing that thyroxin is helping me in many areas.....small steps at a time, but the memory has definately improved.....and am so enjoying being able to read my books (novels) again...........speak to your GP  re trialling some (I started on 50mcgs daily, and now taking 100 mcgs daily.....and have noticed some improvement in many areas......even the extra energy is a plus.....perhaps even doing some research into the symptoms of Hypothyroidism may give you some encouragement..and a book written by Diana Holmes is very interesting reading (Tears Behind Closed Doors).....I know I seem to be pushing this onto everyone, but another lady put me onto it (and the info re Hypothyroidism), and it has made a lot of sense relating to our condition.....we may not have hypothyroidism, but the Thyroxin (even in small doseage) can help...........Bron
    • Posted

thanks for your post bronwyn its strange you mention thyroid i only have half a thyroid due to other half being surgically removed some years back not on meds blood tests coming back ok and thyroid probs run in family i had a scan in february which showed my other half had multi nodules on scan was shown to a gp who has interest in our surgery he suggested rescan and more bloods at christmas now when i had my first scanand it showed lumps they took it out straight away don t know what diff is now anyway will wait and see what mem clinic brings and if all ok it will prob be time for scan thank you x

• Posted

Hi clara19942 My gp refered me to a memory clinic last year, to see if it could be dementia or alzheimers. The lady I saw did tests she said in the last 8 weeks ive seen 8 people that all had fibro and all had the same problem she put my problems down to depression. Which neither my self or my gp was happy about. My memory has got worse since last year so going to have a chat to gp. they will get you to do simple tests and ask you questions at the memory clinic they will tell you whether its down to fibro or something else. take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.