Memory recall issues...

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello guys... I was given another tablet to take about three weeks ago called Procyclidine (supposed to prevent/alleviate side affects from antipsycotic meds), and I'm wondering if this could be a factor with recall problems as I really notice it at the moment. The problem being not being able to remember the right word to use in a sentence or remember the name of someone that may come up in a conversation (like an Actor or Band member). Or could it just be that ALL the Meds have fried my brain? If anyone has this issue, maybe we could try and find a common factor? Many Thanks, Al 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Found this online-

(Less common procyclidine side-effects - these affect less than 1 in 100 people)- include confusion & forgetfulness.

Does it help with side effects of other drugs? X

• Posted

Thanks for that SLD, seems like I may have won the `Side-effect lottery again! I can honestly say that I haven't noticed any difference to me physically. I have felt mentally incontrol for nearly a year now. I do get tremmors now and again, like it feels like a phone is going off on vibrate in my pocket, and sometimes lying down, the bed feels like it's gently shaking, but I dissmiss these feelings as they don't really bother me. The confusion & forgetfulness is starting to get annoying as it's stopping me conversing with others, I find myself holding back from talking when I should be, because I don't want a load of unarticulated babble to stumble out of my mouth. By the time I figure out what to say, it's too late. May be this is a passing phase (typical bloke), I'm not seeing my Brain Dr untill next Month, May be if it is the Procyclidine, it may settle down? Or just not take it,, I think it would be safe drug to stop but I have not had too much experience with it. X 

• Posted

A family member of mine takes it, has done for decades. When she came off it by accident (as the pharmacy didn't put it in the dosette box ??) she became really unwell. Having said that, she's probably on different meds to you. Tap procyclidine into the search bar, here on patient, and there's a whole page about the drug (can't work out how to share the link sorry). Or perhaps you could speak to pharmacist about what would happen if you stop?

Take care xx

• Posted

Will do SLD, Thanks again, laters.

Al x

• Posted

Hi

I find it's the antipsychotic that causes this. I am on aripiprazole and have found since I started it seven months ago I have become socially awkward and slur words sometimes and forget words. Mind you the alternative is worse. I miss being antipsychotic free. What do you take?

Lou x

• Posted

Hi Lou,

My Head Meds are currently Pregabalin, Quetiapine, Venlafaxine and Mirtazapine. I have not yet had the pleasure of aripiprazole, I think it does the same job as my quetiapine? I can't really remember when I was without some sort of drug. Do you mind if i ask what you felt like leading up to taking the aripiprazole and how you feel now? Dont feel like you have to.  [rolleyes]  I just am curious on how they make you feel seven months in, It's hard to really `remember' (I know) how feelings really feel. Sounds silly, I know but you might be able to point out the good and bad. Its rare to hear about anything other than side-effects. Thanks, Al x 

• Posted

Hi Al, before I was on antipsychotics I was on lithium and citralopram for bi polar. Then after a couple of years in and out of hospital with psychosis and hearing voices the doc decided I had schizoaffective disorder and put me on the aripiprazole, previously I had tried riperdone, but was like a zombie on that. Yeah, there are side effects from antipsychotics, but am back at work part time now and lead a normal life on them. I miss being chatty and full if energy, but if I didn't take it I would be ill. What illness do you have?

• Posted

I was diagnosed with Depression and Anxiety, then it later changed to Bipolar and Psychosis with auditary and visuals. But I seem to have been pretty good for a while now. I don't think I have ever stopped to think about side effects much, I seem to have a facination with Pills and usually gobble them down no questions asked, and see if they make me feel any better. It feels like I may have gone to far to go back. I would be great if you could flip a switch to see what it would be like without certain Meds, like, "Oh, Today I'll turn off all the traces anti psycs in my Body", click! lol, I was always confident around strangers (may be because I self medicated for a time) but now, not so much. What kinda work do you do?

• Posted

Hi Al, I work as a clerical assistant and First Aider in a school. Is really varied and my work colleagues are great with me. I had to tell my boss about my illness as I kept getting hospitalized. She was so understanding and looks out for me. I was bi polar for 23 years, then in October last year diagnosed with schzioaffective disorder. I find the procyclidine really helps with the side effects. Do you work?
    • Posted

I had Heart failure last year and was told not to work untill I finish treatment, and even then was told nothing manual. Before that I was working with Adults who have learning difficulties. Now I am doing volunteer work as a Peer Mentor in a Drug and Alcohol service center, so it's talking to clients (who are ofen under the influence when they first come in so its not to bad) but there is the phone, answering it and calling clients who are a concern. Mostly the people that are forced to attend as result of conviction. I just seem to get apprehensive alot of the time about my words, which makes it worse. I can't think of a time that I was like it before. Sounds like you have a nice job with nice people. I'll stick out with the procyclidine, and see if it gets any worse, It's kinda managable at the moment. Just embarassing and frustraiting more than anything. x

• Posted

That sounds like a good job and one that people need to help them. I answer phones and deal with people, but they don't seem to mind my forgetting words and slurring, sometimes its funny too. Keep going with meds, I quite like procyclidine as it wakes me up and helps with the side effects of the antipsychotic.

Lou x

• Posted

Oh yeah, don't take the procyclidine too late as, I found it kept me awake x

• Posted

Cheers Lou, Yeah I take them first thing. Thanks for the chat, Al. x

• Posted

Hello

I suffer a congenital short term memory condition.

I am sixty six and have been through the tests for Dementia. They also gave me several scans to check my  brain.

The long and short of it is my condition is not a dementia. My condition is accociated with taking AD Opiate medications for over thirty years.

I do not know how old you are, all I know is some of the medications we take in the short term can affect concentration and  memory loss, in the short to medium term. Talk to your GP and confirm any fears you may have

• Posted

check on NHS Choices they explain medications contraindications
    • Posted

Thanks borderriever. I'll go to NHS choices after this. I'm glad you don't have dementia, It's my only real fear if one of my family was diagnosed. I'm 36. My GP would probably refer me back to my Psychiatric Dr, and then vice versa. I see my head Dr next month. Thirty years flies by, I've been on some meds for nearly 15, but it's a long time to be on any medication. The trouble is they cant really trial a new drug for 30years to see if it has long term affects, so we end up being the Guineapigs. Will go to NHS Choices to have a brows. Al

• Posted

Good Luck

The medications do have problems I have been taking them now since 1968. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.