Memory, Thinking & Understanding After A Stroke

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm a 64 year old man. Within the last 2-years I've had multiple Lacunar strokes and Ischemic Thrombosis Strokes, I've also been diagnosed with Complex and Simple Partial Seizure Disorder, White Brain Matter & Cerebrovascular Disease. Over the last 2-years on a daily basis 24/7 I also deal with dizziness, balance issues, falling down and severe headaches. These symptoms can increase or decrease by the hour the day, there's no set schedule and I have no clue or warning when they will get really bad to the degree I'm in bed for weeks are a time. But this isn't the reason for my post. Since my strokes I have short-term memory loss which my neurologist says is due to the strokes I've had but I've also had and continue to have major problems with my thinking, the way I now process information, how I understand things or people, the things I want to say I try to organize it my head first but a lot of times by the times the words come out of my mouth they are not the same words so I end up offending people like family. And that's my issue, it's like they are tired of hearing me try to explain what I deal with and the worst one is my wife of 37 years of marriage. So I quit talking, I lay in bed and try to talk as less as possible. But that leaves me depressed, angry, frustrated. She even told me once that she believes I use my memory loss as an excuse, I just looked at her and asked why would you accuse me of anything like that. I tried talking her to join a support group. I don't know what else to do because with my conditions trying to explain every detail of what I got through, how do I do that when I dont even understand. So if anyone else has or os dealing with this and has some suggestions Im all ears.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I feel for you genuinely. I know how complicated it can be when we do not have the support patience and understanding of our loved ones. Yet I do know it is hard on them as well. Have you tried your self to go to one of these groups?Even if your wife does not start off going, maybe you could go and eventually, she will join you. Maybe you could share some of the information that you get from those groups.

I do not have what you have, tho I have and do have neurological symptoms! I do pray for you and yours..take care

• Posted

Terrie, thank you so much from the bottom of my heart for your kind words. Your words jumped off the page, into my heart like they were alive. Some reading this may say that guy is nuts, but to have any understanding when you've gone this long without any and even some of your symptoms used against you as a weapon, yes I will take anything right now. Terrie, the DMV was notified in early 2017 of all my neurological disabilities by my neurologist and they revoked my driving privilege. I couldn't drive even if I wanted so to attend anything would be extremely difficult. I have other issues going on that have been going on for quite some time but other symptoms have reared its ugly head. For a while I brushed it off due to all the other neurological issues I had and still have but I guess there comes a time when you can't do that anymore. I went on Google and searched for the top 10 signs of early dementia. It took me a while but I confirmed I have 9 out of 10 consistently. Now you are the first to know, I don't know about telling my wife, it's already not to good, I don't know if she's in denial or doesn't believe my daily struggles I just don't know what to do. I know there is no cure but there are meds and therapy that can help so maybe if that happens it would be a good thing. My daughter in law and I are having a private talk today and I will see what she says before my wife takes me to my monthly doctors appointment. Please let me know what you think.

• Posted

Maybe make sure you tell yr dr your dementia symptoms. Try talking to him and let him know what is going on. There must be some kind of help for you. Contact a local church and talk to pastor. He will visit and be a wonderful listening ear and can maybe give you some good advice. Sometimes with these issues, we feel so alone. But you are not..Call the pastor. Your Church of God will be a huge help I feel. God bless..I will be praying for you!
    • Posted

Call your local Church Of God I meant 2 say..take care!
    • Posted

Terrie, thank you, I will gladly accept your prayers. I have 4 sons, one of them my wife and I live with, my youngest son lives in the city we use to live and the other lives out of state, He has his own storms so I don't bother him. But before all this started happening in 2014 to 2015 I was falling down having balance issues, confusion issues and both sons, along with my wife would say you are taking to many pain meds or you are doing this or that. Then in July 2015 we moved in with our older son and his family and my symptoms began to get worse. So like anything else I would get on the computer and do research. In July 2016 I had chest pains, I had previous heart attacks and have 6 stents and have Coranary Artery disease. I went into the hospital and they found 13 blockages. I got fixed up. Then in November 2016 I finally told my doctor about all my symptoms since 2014, He ordered an MRI brain scan and found out I had multiple Lacunar strokes. So that kind of shut the boys and wife up because they would say you need to get off the computer, I got sick of hearing that. Anyway it was the 1 year later almost to the day that I had 2 Ischemic Thrombosis Strokes, then a few months after that I started having the seizures, it was like everything happened one after the other. But even after everything I had they would still say dad you need to get off the computer all the time and I'd say if my doctors won't educate me I will do it myself. Now with this dementia issue, I haven't told anyone except you. My symptoms have gradually become worse and more frequently over the last few months so I finally took a chance and opened up to the younger son and I said all I want is family support, I'm scared, I dont understand what's happening and when these symptoms do happen I get anxious, scared. I told him that he was the one that kept telling me that when we would talk I would repeat myself all the time, that it was hard talking to me because I'm not the same man I use to be that its like dad is thinking what to say but when He does something is wrong. So I told him i wish all 4 of you could experience for 24 hours what I deal with and now this is going on, maybe then you may show some compassion. I just got tired of being lectured to. It's a shame one has to reach out to complete strangers just for a little comparison and understanding.

• Posted

I agree..I guess maybe they don't want to admit, out if fear, that something is wrong. My fam always tells me to stop looking up symptoms. And I have stopped most of it because it was scaring the crap out of me. I feel as you do that we need to research because these drs now days just don't know...I finally had to tell myself, what will be will be. If God takes me to it, he wI'll see me thru it. I hope yr fam starts listening to you..just listen..we dnt ask them to try an fix it. We just need a compassionate ear. It does make it as tho we are all alone in it. But we arent..God listens to us..he gives us strength and peace..you have been thru sooo much. Your fam has to know that. They would def feel different if they went thru it..well you hang in there. Try to find someone to talk to that will listen..and if ya cant, talk to God..He's been my go to...try not to stress..be at peace and keep us infirmed..make sure u tell yr dr about everything..God speed..

• Posted

Terrie, I need to ask a question, I am hoping you can help or anyone you know or anyone on this site. I got out all the documents related to my neurological diagnosis and I have and continue to deal with everyday and I found a couple of things that, for me, really brought all the pieces of the puzzle together. The first one is what I need help with. When I was in the hospital they did an MRI scan, CT Scan, a EEG, along with other test. This was in February 2017. In March 2017 I saw a Neurologist at one of the leading hospitals in California. I read through his paperwork again last night this Neurologist had received all of the CD' s of all my MRI and CT Scans as well as all of the documents written by and from the Neurologist I saw in the hospital the month prior in February. The Neurologist I saw in March 2017 wrote in his paperwork to me that when I was in the hospital they did an MRI and found I did have some old Ischemic Lacunar Strokes and other Small Vessel Disease changes. Now I dont know why I never gave much thought to what he wrote when I first read it. This Neurologist was really something. He acted like he was doing me a favor and he also acted like I was wasting hid time, it was horrible. I had so many questions for him. I was able to ask him about my memory loss and he said, "Oh yeah, you have short-term memory loss due to all the strokes you've had," but he never wrote in his paperwork about my multiple strokes. Anyway this is my question, I didn't know what it meant when He wrote that when they did the MRI Scan they found other Small Vessel Disease changes. I went online and did my own research but I would like to know if you, anyone you know or anyone reading this had ever had a diagnosis written exactly word for word just like mine and how was it explained to them.

• Posted

Is it like temporal arteritis? Just wonderin. That has to so with blood vessels in the brain..I can't really help ya with this one Jon. Maybe someone on here will see yr question and answer that for you. Wish I could help..sorry...

• Posted

Hi Jon8181, my husband has had a light stroke and two heart attacks, your wife is under stress, she feels your pain I know I'm also living the same life as her, its hard to be the strong one not knowing what the next minute will bring, with hope she will know what to do to help, my husband has to be asked at least three times a question before he will answer, it takes that long before he can think of how to answer, I would get very up set with this, until I did alot of reading on this, I learned to give him time, that he could not answer as fast as he used to. I hope your wife will do some reaching and learn how to understand you now, this is a time when you need her the most.  And he also has  memory loss, he'll watch the same movie on TV the very next night like he never saw it before, and I told him the same thing she told you ! you are using  it for excuse--it was when I started to do reaching and learning that I understood what was going on, for the last two years he and I are doing great.Hope she will do this for you, it would make both of you more at ease. wishing you all the best, God Bless

• Posted

I'm desperate looking for answers. I'm 37 suffering with long and short term memory cognitive issues ,confusion ,dizziness ,tremors and alot more symptoms in just 4 months. From being an anthelete hard worker was having stomach issues and doctor gave me antibiotics and that's when my life turned upside down ,I'm bed ridden can't work and my brain is shutting down I know it sounds crazy and doctors love to blame anxiety for it but no my friend anxiety does not cause alzheimers if you ask me what I did yesterday and the day before it's all void in my head and everyday I cry because I suffer and get bounced from doctor to doctor and I honestly don't trust them at all. I don't know what to believe anymore but I sure know that it all started after taking antibiotics. I'm in confusion state with extreme brainfog that wont allow me to think or access thoughts it's pretty scary. All I know is alot of ppl have been complaining about neurological issues lately and doctors love to brush it off

• Posted

Ana, I just sent you a response because when I saw your age, my youngest son is your age. I read through your entire post with a father's heart and I replied. Now I read it a second time. First, please, do not make any connections, you maybe correct, but you could be wrong and setting yourself up. I don't trust doctors either and I've seen a lot of them so I'm sticking with you like bad gum to your shoe and together we will figure out what's going on, I promise. So I sent you my first response with some instructions, read them and please get the information to me when you can, now I'm talking to you like a surrogate dad's heart. Private message the information and if you'd like my email I will send that to you in my private message. I'm here if you just need to vent any time in up all hours of the night. My wife calls my walker the red mistress.

• Posted

Didnt see no info ..you can send it to my inbox..thank you .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.