Men-Anal Fistula problem after Abscess

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi Newbie here so sorry if a waffle on

I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in the same situation?

December 2013 i went to my doctor as i thought i had piles or something and was told to go straight to A & E. That night they booked me in for a operation to remove an abscess. After the operation i was left with a big hole. The hole was 4cm deep by 2cm wide and had to be packed everyday at various medical centres ( Which i had to find myself )

After a few weeks I had to go back to the doctors as i ended up with an infection and was prescribed anti-biotics...

Finally in the middle of January i had my final pack and was told it's healed quickly!

Brilliant i thought ! as i had been off work all this time, couldn't sit or drive to work! But within days i had another infection start ....the pain was really bad and was prescribed anti-biotics for the second time.

This carried on for some weeks and after a number of doctor visits i was then put on ZAPAIN (Codeine Phosphate / paracetamol )

I'd had enough and after constantly phoning the hospital they finally got me back in and was told it was now a fistula? They put a band through the fistula and out my anus and tied it to drain any fluid! So now i think YES! finally getting somewhere.........NOPE, i v'e just been to see my consultant at the hospital again because every time i go to the toilet, i'm climbing the walls in pain!!

I'm now taking Zomorph 10mg and Zapain for pain relief and have taken my final anti-biotics.

I can't sit down for long and i'm still off work 4 and a half months after having my abscess removed..........This is the worst thing that's ever happened to me and it's effecting me emotionally - financially .......I'm lucky to have a very understanding girlfriend but i can't help think is this going to ever end>? :o(

I'm now on the waiting list to have the band removed and more investigation done. Shheeeshhhh

The only relief iv'e found....don't laugh but i get the shower head, change it to jet spray with warm water and use it on the whole area! ....

Sorry for the waffle, this is my last resort to see if this is normal and to talk to other people in the same situation.

Nick :o)

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have the same problem as you and you seem to be the only other one on the internet that has it!

I am in worse pain now after seton surgery for my fistula than I was before, I'm starting to regret getting it done in the first place. I went to see my gp 4 days after having my seton put in as I was in excrutiating pain, he sent me to the hospital, they put in a looser seton as the said the first one was too tight and that was probably what was causing the pain. But that didn't help at all. I am taking 30mg zomorph twice a day, 50mg diclofenac 3x a day and 1000mg paracetamol 4 x a day and they still don't help.

I'm guessing it is a fissure that is being irritated by the seton band as from what I've read fissures are indescribably painful.

Have you managed to find out what is causing the pain yet? I have an appointment with my surgeon on Saturday for an EUA so hopefully he will find out what is causing the pain then,

Laura

• Posted

i had an absess and they left me for 8 weeks before the operation by then it had burst and i had a fistula i also had a seton stitch and had to keep going back to have it pulled titer this was two years ago and now i have have muscle damage and i carnt control my bowels ive had that many accidents its ruined my life if i were any one reading this and theyre gona have a seton stitch i would really look into it
    • Posted

Hi Laura,

Hows you doing at the moment?? What happened with the EUA?

So sorry for the really late reply, iv'e had no internet.

So since i posted that, iv'e had a similar problem and guess what! The band came out, didn't realise till i had a shower and 2 days later the horrible pain has gone? i was in so much pain i ended up on 30mg Zoromorph twice a day and Zapain 8 times a day sometimes more.....I tried to just come off the Zoromorph recently......that was a .no no, i stopped taking them and i had really bad pains, sweating etc, so im now slowly coming off them rather than just stopping...silly me.I have just had enough of taking tablets to be honest and thought well i'm feeling better....dohI am due back in for a operation on the 14th of August to have a Fistula Lift, i You Tubed it....I really should'nt have ........gulp.

Regards 

Nick

• Posted

You poor people I had the same and it too has taken over my life xx
  • Posted

This sounds so familiar  I also had abcess had surgery and was off work four months 2 weeks ago had a fistulaectomy after 3 eua had polyps removed awaiting results really feel for you xx
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about all of your travails....

I'm lined up for surgery next Wedensday Gulp

Double Seton

I really hope and have no alternative but to trust in the care and compassion of my consultant following previous surgery that left me with "altered architecture down there as my new surgeon put it.Originally i was lined up for plastic surgery but MRI showed i was all the way back to the beginning.

• Posted

I'll let you know how I get on and i hope you all get well.

Going forward seems the only way

Love Alex

• Posted

Hi,

again, its been a while since oyur post and I hope by now you have a good recovery story. I have suffered with this for years. see my reply to "Advice needed | Living with an anal fistula". And pls let me know if you've any advice on how to make living this nightmare any easier. : (

• Posted

I went through/still going through exactly what you described.

Around 2 years ago I had a terrible pain on the left hand side of my bum. Worried about this I seeked advice from the doctor who barely looked at me and told be I had a pulled muscle. I was advised to take pain killers and the pain would go in time.

After a week the pain did subside but that was just the beginning of it.

throughout the year the pain came back every couple of months, getting worse and worse until I couldnt stand. At this point i was taken into A&E and told I had an abcess and to have surgery.

I was booked in first thing the next morning and was told I would be out by the evening as I lived 5 minutes away. 

When I awoke after the surgery I was told they would have to drain the absess by way of a seton and was explained it wasnt an abcess but a fistula.

I remained in hospital for 4 days to see if it would heal naturally and could have a bowel movement but this wasnt the case.

I was at this point in a LOT of pain and really worried when I was told I would need a temporary colostomy to stop my bowel movements to allow the fistula to heal. This was the point I broke down.

This was done back in January and I have now been living with my Temporary (looped colostomy) and still have a seton in place.

I feel much much better now and I have gotten used to both.

I have 1 week to go where I will be admitted again to received my bio plug to block the opening of the fistula and hopefully in time have my colostomy reversed. 

It has been a hard year and was surprised just how strong Physically and Mentally you can become.

Never give up hope smile

• Posted

Hi I have same problem had my fistula operation on 30 June 2017 they have to put seton in my fistula .

It was getting better but since few days I am in pain again went to see gp given antibiotic still can't drive or walk

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.