Men's Health - Urge Incontinence and Frequency.

Posted , 3 users are following.

18 years ago I had a Cystoscopy to determine why on urination the stream was weak and sprayed everywhere. The Urologist simply said that there was some congestion. No treatment was offered. My spray got worse and frequency increased over the years. Three years ago I started on Tamsulosin but currently I have a very weak stream and frequency of 15 - 18 times a day, including 4-6 times a night. I have also experienced urge incontinence at times. Outflow meter proved it was slow and a bladder scan showed 120ml retention. Prostate is large but smooth with a PSA of 3. A Cystoscopy carried out yesterday (17/9/2018) looked good and the Urologist was pleased that there were no obvious problems. He said I could have Finasteride but as far as I am aware that is for reducing the prostate size and as the Cystoscopy showed no problems, I maintain that I must have something else like an over-active bladder etc. I void between 60 - 120ml most of the time but I have sometimes voided 300ml at night. I have persuaded the Urologist to book me in for an Urodynamic test to assist in my diagnosis. I am a fit 76 year old and followed all advice to abstain from drinking tea, coffee, fizzy drinks and alchohol. I sometimes despair when I find myself visiting the toilet when the urge comes every 20-30 minutes. Has anyone here had similar problems?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Following my Cystoscopy a week ago, I now have the Urologist's report which is not really what I expected after he had said that there were no problems. I now realise that he was only commenting that there is no sign of cancer. The report says that I have an Occlusive Prostate with a High Bladder Neck. I have a Trabeculated Bladder. He wants me to have Finasteride in addition to the Tamsulosin until I can have a TURiS Prostatectomy.

Any comments would be welcome, if only to assure me in English what this means and if it is serious. Many thanks, Michael

• Posted

I did have similar, but was from drinking waaay too much liquid all day and night.  That's my nocturia, which is not a disease, but just plain too much liquid, from what I see in my night-bag + Foley.

Caused Sudden Onset Urinary Retention which has become complicated now.

Yesterday, a TCM practitioner said "no salt".  My uro said "no spicy foods/drinks".

I am now doing squat defecation, and when this Foley is off, I will sit-pee.  Info from med texts, sites, studies, Pres. Carter's doctor, etc.

• Posted

Hi Bob - I drink on average 2 litres a day with last drink 5 hours before bedtime. I regularly void about the same. I do have plenty of fruit daily so that would increase the intake figure a bit. I have done 'sit-pee' for over 10 years as the stream is so weak I never know where to aim anymore! I gave up tea, coffee, fizzy drinks, spicy food, alcohol etc ages ago but as yet no change in my symptoms. I await my urodynamic study to find out more. Maybe the nurses will be a bit more forthcoming without the urologist present!

• Posted

From what I've researched deeply on colon, prostate, peeing problems, I am guessing that my own problem was caused primarily by sitting 45 minutes a day to defecate.  Now, it's 30-50 seconds, squat defecation.  Apparently there is a nerve that got ruined by sitting on the toilet.  No information whether the stretched nerve can restore itself, but I'm hoping Dr Thomas Levy's book is right, so I'm consuming lots of Vitamin C, hourly, and other supplements.  

• Posted

There's another poster who said he bends forward while sit-peeing, just like squatting defecation.  It's in another thread.  I was sit-peeing for years, but stopped about two years ago. 

Good luck!

• Posted

I have been having urinary problems for almost two and a half years ever since an unnecessary and inappropriately placed catheter. I a had urodynamics done which showed hesitancy, weak stream, and retention. It was overlooked instead of being looked into further. I a have finally gone to a reconstructive urologist who is going to do videourodyanics to check for an open bladder neck. I think the more appropriate name for it is bladder neck obstruction. I believe that the catheter stretched out this part of my bladder and it is no longer working correctly as I have constant leaking of urine into the bladder and hence a constant urge to urinate. All of this happened to me at 29. Bladder neck obstruction is often overlooked for several years because doctors keep going with chronic prostatitis. It is more common in older men because of prostate problems such as BPH. You can message me if I can help further in any way? Bladder neck obstruction can only be diagnosed through videourodynamics as it also checks how your urinary sphincters are working. Bladder problems are the absolute worst at any age and seriously impact your quality of life.
    • Posted

Thanks for that - I had also thought that a videourodynamic study would have been what I needed but it seems that I will only have the standard urodynamic test done by nurses. This is booked for Wed 11 Oct and I hope that I will have chance to discuss the findings with the Urologist later. Cheers, Mike

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.