Menapause or not

Posted , 3 users are following.

Fsh was 84 and estradiol was less then 5 in August.  I? had 3 months of no period leading up to that lab.  I? went 3 more months without a period then I? got a normal period in December that lasted 3-4 days.  Had labs done again in December and fsh was 28 and estradiol was 17.  Dr says I’m post menapause but I? got period in dec and then 30 days later another period in January.  So I? guess my question is- am I? post menapause and having abnormal bleeding or are labs wrong.  I? did have TVU done in may and dec and all that’s seen in a fibroid and uterine thickness was 6 and then 5.   Please help me understand this better 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

It seems to me your hormone levels may well still be fluctuating which is causing the occasional period. My dr told me that you are not post menopausal until you have not had a period for a whole year. So maybe your ovaries struggle and manage to work occasionally. You will still get the symptoms of menopause if one or the other of the main hormones dips below a certain level. Hope this helps!
  • Posted

Hi Chris,

All of this is actually pretty normal.  How wonderful that you have labs that are reflective of what's happening!

(i enjoyed seeing them)  As we get to menopause, our levels of these hormones are fluctuating.  Some months we produce almost nothing cause those old eggs are lazy, and other months one may respond to the call (FSH)  

In August, your FSH was high (84) and your brain was screaming at your ovaries to product some estrogen, but as you can see from your lab (estradiol <5) your eggs weren't responding.  Hence NO PERIOD.  

Then in December, your eggs were responding better, which brought your FSH down to 28, and your estradiol up to 17.  That lab was a one ,moment in time look at what was happening.  Your estradiol was probably higher than that other days of the month, which stimulated your lining.   Hence a period.

In some ways your doctor is right. But I sure wouldn't use the word post menopausal.  Your labs reflect a dwindling system, that is petering out.   In this phase, I would get a period once every three months, then 6 months, until they finally stopped for good.  Generally speaking, the true definition of menopause is that a women hasn't had a period for one solid year.  However, even then, there are some women who will have bleeding on a rare occasion. (I've known several that have)  What you need to keep in mind, is that even in menopause, we still produce some estrogen.  Not enough on a regular basis to produce normal monthly periods, but some.  

Your uterine lining looks good.  Normal thickness for menopause if 5 or below.  But uterine thickness changes on a daily basis.  Small fibroids are very common and usually don't produce any problems.  They will shrink after your estrogen completely gives up the ghost.  

There's nothing to worry about here.  This is quite normal.  I'll say this tongue in cheek, LOL, try to enjoy your final periods.  These will be the last you ever have. And I've got news, being completely deficient in our estrogen/testo/progesterone isn't the best thing in the world.   

• Posted

Thank you for reply.  I️ was. Confused how labs could be in post menapause range and I️ went 6 months nonoeriid then got one in dec and again 30 days later in January.  After getting period in December- My doctor said let’s do hystescope, d and c and possible ablation.  So I️ guess that’s why I️ got scared.  I️ thought my symptoms were normal also going thru menapause but dr said numbers say I️ should not be having period.  ??????  Any info on that?  
    • Posted

Hi Chris,

Well there are several things going on here.  First off, your physician is being cautious.  There are some situation, like uterine cancer, that are abnormal and can create bleeding.  Most people would sue the physician silly if they missed something.  So some of this is just precautionary, and for the physicians liability.  

Second, keep in mind that labs are just a snapshot in time, That moment, that day and time, that week in that month.  And yes, your labs indicate menopause with high FSH and low estradiol, supported by skipped periods.  But oh, if it could only be that simple.  As an example, in my final 2 years, I skipped 4 out of twelve months, and in the final year, only had periods in May and October.  I suppose if I'd had labs done, some of them would have looked like menopause. But I didn't feel bad, and just rolled with the punches of sporadic periods.  (Now I wish I had done some, just for the  interesting information.)    But I did have labs 5 years past my last period.  Even then I had an estradiol level of 15 pg/ml at age 58.  Even in menopause, your estradiol levels don't go to zero for awhile.  But even that is dependent on each individual women.  Some women go from relatively high hormone levels to unreadable levels very quickly. 

I have known women who had had a period, years after menopause.  Just one, random, off the wall final push.  There was nothing wrong, but it sure seemed odd for these gals.  

I'm sorry you got scared.  I wish your physician had explained some of this better, the normal variations, and also the reason to look for problems.  I'm sure that would have put you mind at ease.  

Just curious, did you happen to notice you felt any better on a daily basis in those months where you got a random period?  Just wondering if the additional hormones your body was producing made any difference to how you looked or felt.   (sorry, I just can help but be interested in your experience.)    

• Posted

Yes I️ felt like I️ had more energy and was in a better mood during the last 2 months (during my period.) it’s weird because I️ got  bloated mid cycle which I️ assume is ovulation and got tired week before and leading up to start of period.  But those months when I️ didn’t get period I️ felt bitchy and lazy.  But in dec and January when I️ got my period I️ felt way better.  Is that all normal too.  
    • Posted

Well Chris, that’s what all the hormone experts would say. Our estrogen affects our mental attitude, how we feel, as well as our energy levels. 

I️ just read a new study that says that HRT can help reduce depression in menopausal women by 50%. 

(Sorry, both you and I️ are having problems with the letter that starts the word ice. I’m trying to figure out the problem. But for some stupid reason it puts a ? and a box. )

• Posted

And Chris, trust me, be glad for those random periods. It isn’t all that fun to lose our hormones.   It really does change you inside and out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.