Menderes diets

Posted , 6 users are following.

Does anybody know if cutting certain foods or drinks out would possibly reduce the attacks.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Apologies for typo error, the title should have said Meniere's

• Posted

Hi Brian I don't know if it will help you but I was advised to cut down salt as much as possible and also caffeine. Hope that helps you a little :-)

• Posted

Hi Mary, 

Thankyou for your advice on salt and caffeine.

I have already cut the caffeine out, and since the majority of my replies suggest cutting salt out, I will give it a try.

The last dizzy spell I had, I tried the doctors method of putting my head upside down and shaking it vigorously, and slowly I started to feel better, and have felt well since.

Maybe this is a coincidence, but I will happily take it.

• Posted

Yes, positively yes.  Limiting your sodium (salt) content (by checking the label of everything you eat if canned or packaged and not adding any salt to anything) to no more than 1500mg. a day; not drinking alcohol; no caffeine; as little sugar as possible.  I maintain this diet, which is difficult, and do not need any other medication. Try it...it works!
  • Posted

Try to reduce your intake of sodium.  Most people eat approx.3500mg of sodium daily.  Start reading labels more carefully.  You'll be surprised how much sodium is prepared foods including basic things like bread.  I've stopped eating lunchmeat so no more sandwiches.  That alone was about 700 to 800 mg of sodium.  I'm try to keep it at 1500mg or less per day.  I've also started using a device called a relief band about 3 months ago.  It was designed to help people with motion sickness.  If I feel the least bit dizzy I turn on the band till the dizziness subsides.  I wear it all the time but activate only when necessary.  I've read some reviews in which others with MD have been helped.

Good luck,

Dave

• Posted

Can you write more about the relief band?  Who makes it?  How does it work?  What kind of relief does it bring?  

Thank you.

• Posted

It's made by Relief Band.  You can buy it direct or on Amazon.  You wear it like a watch with the unit on the underside of your wrist.  Once you turn it on it send small electrical schocks to stimulate your median nerve.  Ther are 5 levels. Level one is very mild, 2 a little more stimulating, 3 is where I normally use it, level 4 I've olny used once but it keep me from vomiting, and level 5 I haven't tried yet.  Since I've been using it for the last 3 months I haven't had a bad episode.  If I feel the least bit dizzy I turn it on, lay down and in about 15 minutes it passes.  Like I said I wear it all the time so I think it might be acting like an adult securlity blanket for me.  Hell, if it works, I'm in all the way

Good Luck,

David

• Posted

David,

Thank you so much for the information.  I'm so glad this has been helpful for you.  I'm going to look into this.

Wishing you ongoing good days and symptom relief as much as possible.

Naomi

• Posted

I will give this a try as well as the reduction in salt.

15 mins of dizziness is a lot better than 5 - 7 hours.

• Posted

It is suggested in the orthodox medical literature that a low salt diet and cutting out red wine and cheese is helpful presumably because it may reduce your blood pressure a little!!

You do not say if you are on any medication. Betahistine targets the inner ear to reduce the excessive fluid pressure that is believed to be responsible for triggering Meniere's. If you are already taking it you should ask to increase the dose but remember it takes about a month to become fully effective and you need to remain on your therapeutic dose level for 6 months without an attack before considering reducing and weaning off!

• Posted

You've told me a lot more than any doctor or consultant about the length of time I need to take Betahistine.

They told me to knock them off once the dizziness has abated for 4weeks or more.

Thankyou

• Posted

Hi Brian

If you google  "hydrops diet" you should find the information that you are looking for.

Good luck and best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.