Meneier's/Vertigo

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi has anyone had operation to kill ear or intra-tympanic steroid therapy, as this is my next step

​Steve

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Mine were steroid injections as ENT consultant didn't want to risk destroying the 20% hearing I have left in that ear. 

• Posted

Yes i am undecided, which one to go for, had Vertigo/Meneier's for 5 years on and off, but now i keep having time off work and that is a worry, especially if i lose my job  

• Posted

Hi Steve,

​I had the VNS surgery in 1996. At the time they were not doing the intra-tympanic steroid therapy, or at least my doctor was not. Are you suffering mostly with vertigo

• Posted

Hi Steve

Imperial College in London did a study comparing gentamicin with intratympanic steroid injections.

If you want a link to an article about it please private message me, but you should be able to find it if you google

Severe dizziness treated with steroid injections into the eardrum

Good luck, I hope you find the help that you need

Misti  x

• Posted

I have had about 12/14 injections. Lost count. Then had shunt placed. That didn't work either. The shots are fairly easy. In and out in 30 min. They work better early on in the disease. Then they stop working. At least for me. All menieres are not created equal. 

• Posted

Dear Steve,

I’m a great believer in intratympanic steroid injections.  They relieved me of a lot of suffering.  There is no Silver Bullet for Meniere’s, but for me, the steroid injections are as close as I’ve been able to get to finding one.  They drastically reduced the frequency and intensity of my attacks, and my hearing and tinnitus were both significantly improved.  It wasn’t a quick fix.  It took a few injections (10mg Dexamethasone at 4 week intervals) before I began to feel relief, but then there was steady improvement.  The way my doctor does it, is to keep spacing the injections further and further apart, as symptoms improve. I have gone up to 16 weeks without so much as wisp of wooziness, which is quite amazing for me, as I was so disabled by my symptoms, for so long.  There are people who get much longer episodes of remission than I do, but I’m grateful that I can get that length of time with such complete relief, without doing any harm to my inner ear, and actually improving my hearing.  When I do have episodes, they are generally not as intense as they used to be. 

I opted for intratympanic steroid injections before proceeding to more destructive and irreversible methods of controlling my symptoms, and I’m happy with that choice.

I wish you the very best of luck!

Sincerely,

J-

• Posted

Hi JMJ,

Nice to hear some good news about Meneier''s /Vertigo, glad everything is going well, i am just waiting for consultants appointment which should be any day now..... 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.