Meniere's and Water Retention

Posted , 4 users are following.

I've had the disease off and on for the past 12 years.Recently after the condition had been in remission for many months I  developed probels with my ankles and the doctor said it was water retention.

Since this problem the meniere's has returned, not the awful sickness and vomiting but the vertigo.

I wonderd if the water retention and the vertigo are connected?

Anyviews on this please?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have had menieres for over twenty years and never suffered from water retention. It is clear to me from joining his and ither Meniere groups that Menieres varies from individual to individual.  Not everyone seems to get the major attacks and those that do have different warning signs and the development of the disease varies considerably too. I am  bothered by tinnitusband have been fir twenty years, sometimes worse than others. 

I believe other drugs that we may take may also affect our medication and the symptons wevhave. It is impossible for drug companies to test every drug against others so maybe interactions may cause other side effects.

Also Menieres is onevof many auto immune disorders and most people are affected by more than one. I have vitiligo and an underactive thyroid as well. Could other auto immune disorders affect symptons?

Sorry for the diatribe but i am just trying to explain why Meniere sufferers may not all experience the same symptons. 

• Posted

Water retintion can make it worse. That's what causes the pressure. I take a diuretics for Meneres
  • Posted

I too have been suffering with menieres.  Occasionally I get the vertigo and off balance and tinnitus is sometimes very harsh, other times I hardly notice it.  My doctor has always emphasized a very low sodium diet.  I notice the difference when I am strict with the diet,  not so much water retention in the feet but it must be near the inner ear,which causes the problems.  I also read that sugar (cake, cookies, candy) can have an effect on us too.  Hope that helps.  Keep your sodium near 1,000 mg per day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.