MENIERE'S DISEASE WITH HYPERACUSIS

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 50 year old male with no allergies. Since the death of my father in May.. i have been experiencing what I assume is Eustachian tube dysfunction. I would go to sleep and then I would experience extreme air pressure difference in my R ear. When It get really bad i would get tinnitus.

I can open eustachian tubes etc but it has no effect on releasing the pressure I cant stand any sound as it makes my whole head vibrate,it feels like my ears drums are streched & going to burst .when i hear certain noises it makes my ear drum actually flutter.my tinnitus(i have it constantly) changes pitch to a low tone and becomes VERY loud

I am able to pop my ears, but there is no relief. I am experience fullness of the ear. It feels like when you go to a concert or when you go on a airplane. I could hear myself talking or hear an echo. Outside noise is amplified and it would make me hear drumming sound in my ear.

-no dizziness

-no headaches

-no pain

It worse when I go to sleep and lay down. I would hear like drumming sound in my ear and  I would know it would be coming.

I have tried

Zyrtec, neomycin ear drops, amoxicillin at first.

Ginkgo biloba, Vit E, warm compression on the ear, sleep on the L ear.

1st ENT Doctor did:

-took ear wax out

-place me on Flonase Nasal Spray 50 mcg

-did hearing test

THAT DID NOTHING

2nd ENT doctor:

-took ear wax

-did hearing text

-short dose of prednisone

-suggest that I have Meniere's Disease

i saw him a few times.

Recently he recommend the following:

-recommend MRI

-recommend that i see a neurotology Neurotology is a branch of clinical medicine which studies and treats neurological disorders of the ear.

-recommend blood work which I did

-gave me second round of prednisone  which I am taking now.

-thinking of giving me diuretic

I can't live like this...is there a cure? I get a few days of relief and it comes back again.  I want to have a normal life again. Has anyone experience anything like this. I know that my dad death trigger this ..but when will it stop? Why me?

Could it be perilymph fistula (PLF) or Tonic Tensor Tympani syndrome?

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

It may be Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence.  If it were possible, I would like to see your audiogram.

Eleftherios S. Papathanasiou, PhD, FEAN

Clinical Neurophysiologist

Fellow of the European Academy of Neurology

• Posted

I have similar symptoms just had a hearing test I assume they will have my audio gram?
    • Posted

I  have the same my eustanian tubes crunch when I swallow and when I yawn it sometimes clears but comes back. My pressure tests were normal.ct scans normal. What are the sensations we feel in our heads when we turn side to side or look at something .
  • Posted

In pretty much exactly like you fullness and certain frequencies make my ear flutter as you say or music I have to wear an earplug. I went 6 months no dizzy etc doc out me on diuretic which helped I run a lot and was on vacation running in fla. I came home and three days later my first vertigo attack threw up got spins ended up in ER. They gave me fluid and anti dizzy med. I walked home tie hours later so far thankfully I don't really get dizzy but the fullness and noise hasn't really gone away I also had bad sinus. I use a saline rinse daily after sinus surgery I also take vitamins multi b12 ginkgo extra vitamin c and lipoflavenoidCaffeine will make it act up drink plenty of water use an ear plug if your in a club with music or restaurants also drove my ear crazy and loud taking people with certain Voice frequencies mine is an A note that bothers me in also a musician so I can tell

Good luck lots of water low salt low caffeine

• Posted

Is there anything else we can do?
    • Posted

I use a sign you gator daily to keep my sinuses clear other than that it's kind of a trial and error to see what works best for you at least in my case good luck to you keep in touch

• Posted

MRI was normal

blood work normal

hearing test normal

I might have cochlear hydrops

• Posted

Hello, sorry about your father, my wife have exactly the same condition, only her Hyperacusis went away after 1 month leaving her only with tinnitus and also she lost some of her hearing, the Hyperacusis started while she was giving birth and she saw some traumatic incidents in the hospital that i suspect were the cause as Hyperacusis can be caused by a Post-traumatic stress disorder, i have a bit of confirmation since you have the same condition and started with the loss of your father.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.