Meniere's Solution - Hope this Helps Others

Posted , 10 users are following.

I've had meneires for almost 5 years. This past year it got so bad I was having episodes of getting so sick I was over the toilet for at least an hour and then I was knocked out for the entire day. I originally thought these were due to stress as I am a senior executive for a global organization and it seemed that the dizzy episodes happened when I was under a lot of stress. My doctor put me on a diuretic, I cut my salt intake and eliminated caffeine. They also prescribed valium that they said I should take when I started feeling a a dizzy spell coming on. This only worked occasionally and I did not like taking valium. That said, I became more disciplined with my fitness regime,  I began watching my diet and nutrition and I started meditating. While this approach helps me become healthier and more mindful, it did not seem to help the dizzy spells caused by menieres. Recently I was doing research and found that Betahistine was another drug that is used for treating menierers. I asked my doctor about this and she said she would give me a prescription. I am in the US and for some reason, betahistine is not favoured by the FDA and thus is hard to get in the US. I actually had to get my Rx filled a small pharmacy that mixes their own drugs. Let me tell you it was the best thing I ever did. I started taking a 28mg pill per day about 1 month ago and since I have not had one dizzy episode. Anyone who has not tried betahistine I encourage you to give it a try. It has been my life-saving drug, at least for now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping it will continue to deal with the symptom of menieres and vertigo. I will keep you all posted, but for the time being, I am praying that it continues to solve my problem. If anyone has had similar results with betahistine, I would love to hear. I know it may not work for everyone, but it did work for me and I wanted to share with all of you. Good luck.  

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Gregg I was recently put on a compounded diuretic. I am a person with anxiety and truly believe my Menieres was begun with a week of stressful teaching as an elementary school teacher, I noticed when I get stressed even now or anxious it heightens my fullness in the head. I keep thinking I have a sinus infection,but that's my hope that with a good dose of antibiotic this will all go away, i know this is not sound thinking but I want my normal life back. I am a spiritual and religious as well so I am using a mindset and spiritual approach to keeping me going. At times I resort to an anti anxiety medicine in small amounts,but choose to leave those pills for the worse days.My first episode started while traveling in Europe back in 2004. Then my net reoccurence came in April of 2016 and continued thru 

• Posted

(continued from previous conversation). January of 2017 ,then suddenly went away. Now it as returned with a venegence since November 13. the holidays were rough. I am willing to try betahistine.Happy New Year.
  • Posted

I am seeing an ent who put me on a diuretic. so far ot too effective. the worse part is the depression and anxiety that goes along with this disease. I take a small amount of anti anxiety pill but that is hit or miss with relief. Im encouraged for you that the betahistine is working.
    • Posted

Maria.  Anxiety and panic attacks are common with MD and along with stress will usually make your symptoms worse.  I've mentioned on this forum numerous times that MD sufferers should include psychiatric counseling as part of the medical protocol for good management of MD symptoms.  There are many meds and behavior modifications that can be prescribed to calm anxiety and your reaction to stress.

Also, you mention that you are on a diuretic and that your symptoms are still quite active.  What is the dose of diuretic.....is it 25mg or 50mg/day?  If it is 25mg/day that is the entry level for MD treatment.  You may need to have that increased to 50mg/day.  Also, make sure you are eliminating almost all salt....stay under 1500mg/day....1000mg/day is preferred.

• Posted

Hi Maria:

I am sure my MD was a result of stress. I know different things work for different people. But Betahistine was my wonder drug. I was having episodes at least 5-6 times per week and when I started taking a 28MG betahistine tablet per day, everything stopped. It has only been 1 month, but I have not had an episode since I took my first betahistine. Note in addition to the betahistine, I also take a diuretic, exercise for 45 min/day, cut my sodium, cut caffeine, take Zoloft once a day and I meditate when needed. While all of the above I believe helped contribute to my health, the betahistine is what really stopped the dizzy spells. Over time I will begin to wean my self off of the Zoloft first and if I still feel good then will ease up the use of the Betahistine. I just would like to minimize the number of medications I take. However, for the time being, my life has returned and I am so thankful. I hope things get better with you. It takes exp

• Posted

thank you for validating my feelings. The ENT I'm seeing dismissed my anxiety and said anxiety medication won't help.   I was very put out with him. I am taking TRIAMTERENE 60MG. i STARTED wEDNESDAY OF LAST WEEK. What is disturbing is that I'll have several bad days,then one day is MD free, like today.I get hopeful that it finished for this episode or maybe the med is working. I know meditation is very powerful, I have to make a commitment to do it everyday or at least when I'm having a bad time. I really appreciate your word of advice and encouragement. I have been praying for some help and this chat room is a life saver. Thank you Tanney

• Posted

Thank you Gregg for validating my feelings. My MD started during stress and comes on when I stressed. I see a new primary care physician Monday. i will discuss betahistine with her in case the diuretic fails. I am taking TRIAMTERENE 60mg. The pharmacist said it will take some time to kick in but the medication has had good results for others, I pray it does for me too. I will also discuss my anti anxiety medication with the doctor. I really appreciate your supportive words. Thank you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.