Menieres burnt out??

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all, was wondering if anyone of you have had your menieres burn out? My recent visit to consultant at ENT believes mine may have burnt it's way out, but due to the length of time I've had it, nearly 13.years, it's left permanent damage in both inner ears causing me balance problems. I can't walk and move my head in any direction without falling or stumbling. I've been told I must use a walking stick to help balance.

Has this happen to anybody else?

would really like to hear from you if so, as it's hard to explain to someone not suffering how difficult it is to cross a road, dress without holding onto/or leaning on the wall and walking out of doors, unless I'm going in straight direction!!!!

Thanks Carol

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

I've been lured into thinking my MD has burnt itself out once or twice and it's always come back. I too am left balance depleted. I can't ride a horse any more which is awful. Or a bike, even when I'm feeling well.

So don't be surprised if it comes back again.

I've had mine about eleven years.

Fil

• Posted

Dear Baggidbird,

would suggest changing your diet to exclude grains, sugars and salt. Diet is a life-changer. Since I have changed my diet ten years ago, I do not have vertigo issues. I also recommend stretching exercises for your neck and shoulders (including deep tissue massage).

Anything that can help the flow of blood and energy to the head and ears will be beneficial. i am not a doctor or anything close to it, but it takes someone who has been there to feel what you're going through.

Peace be with you

• Posted

you do not mention what meds you are on for MD. Are you taking Betahistine? what dose?Also what procedures have you had, if any?

Since you have balance difficulty have you considered vestibular rehabilitation?

• Posted

I've never heard of burnout? Do you mean you no longer have tinnitus? Have you had the sectioning of the balance nerve to prevent drop attacks?

• Posted

Statistically up to 70% of sufferers get better sooner or later. Unfortunately hearing damage is not reversible. It is impossible to know if the problem has gone for good so it is better to think in terms of periods of complete remission - I am fortunate to be in my second such period - grateful but alert to the possibility that it may return.

• Posted

THAT SOUNDS AWFUL, so sorry for you. I just had the surgery with removing the sac behind my ear and putting holes in the bone to give more room for the extra fluid. Had it a week ago so not sure if it worked or not still feel the need to take my MECLIZINE meds. Fingers crossed. Have you had any surgery to help with your MENEIRES ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.