Menieres drop attacks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello, i am new to this group. About 20 years ago i was diagnosed with Menieres. My Dad and Grandma had it also. I would get dizzy and vomit till it passed. I only have 20 percent of my hearing left in my right ear (thank God it is only in one ear). I always seem to get attacks when the weather pressure changes from high to low. This year I have been hit with a new symptom, drop attacks! Instead of the typical dizzy, vomit episodes my whole world suddenly turns to the left and I feel as though I am being pushed. I suddenly fall to the ground!!!!! I get no symptoms before this happens. My ENT has prescribed hydrachlorathiazide and Betahistine, which i get from Canada. Neither seems to be working anymore. I am scared to go out of house or drive.

I am thinking of asking my ENT for the gentamicin injections. This disease is soooo cruel.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I too was diagnosed with meneieres about twenty years ago.like you it started with dizzy spells,then progressed to servere dizziness, sickness,then sleep for hours. I was getting them more often,then the drop attacks started to occur no warning just like someone pulled a rug from under my feet. I suffered with black eyes brushes, cuts etc etc. One day I went down in the middle of a road...enough was enough. I went back to see my consultant about 10 years ago said Meds which were betihisimine was not working. He booked me in for the gentimisin injection (high dose) except for a slight loss of hearing in the effected hear it was the best thing I have ever done...not had any vertigo,no drop attacks for the past 9 years. I wear a hearing aid,plus I have a grommet in the ear. Please have a word with your doctor. I have got my life back.take care.
  • Posted

Dianne, I feel for you. It must be so scary to experience those attacks. I hope you find a solution. Keep strong.

Peter

• Posted

This might help. I live Windsor Ontario and I was diagnosed with meniere's disease in 2011. Just recently I've made a few posts to tell how I found total relief from vertigo accidentally from a natural testosterone booster made from various plants. Actually didn't notice anything from the supplement other than my frequent and violent vertigo attacks stopped completely. I've started and stopped taking supplements about half dozen times over just shy of 6 years now. While on them I have never had even one attack and when I stop attacks always come back.

Okay here in Ontario you can buy online or supplement stores

Both of these products have worked for me as I said testo jack and multi jack

If someone out there has meniere's and gets frequent vertigo attacks you might want to try it. It worked for me within fee days of starting then after that once every week or seems enough to keep attacks away for me.

• Posted

Being a woman, testosterone supplements may not be the best choice for me. Thanks for your concern.

• Posted

I have every sympathy with you it's a horrible disease a lot of people don't know about unless they know someone who has it x

• Posted

I don't think you're grasping what I'm saying. I only take one capsule every week or two. You're looking at the word testosterone and totally missing the point that one capsule every week or two is nothing testosterone wise. Anyone that would dismiss this over such a small dose ... well I'm going to put it bluntly ... then your vertigo can't be very bad. I would of contemplated selling my soul to get rid of it because it was so bad.

• Posted

Sorry Robert, guess I saw the word testosterone and shied away. i will ask my ENT about this, thanks. Yes, I too would sell my soul to get rid of my drop attacks!!! I fear that one will kill me one day, not a happy thought. I am so scared to do anything drastic and make it worse.
    • Posted

Hiya Robert what works for one person does not always work for another I think this is why it's such a horrible disease

• Posted

I averaged seven attacks a week, each lasting about two hours with killer nausea. My life was in kaos. Then one day i was with a friend, she wanted to purchase something in a supplement store. While I was waiting I randomly picked out this product. And i had never bought any vitamins or supplements EVER in my life previous to that.

Ironically I always tell people I'm lucky.

And I have never had a vertigo attack while taking it's not a cure because when I stop taking vertigo always comes back but it's damn close.

I can't say if will help you buy should at least help some of M.D. sufferers.

And it costs me less than two dollars a month.

• Posted

Just realized second supplement name i posted is not correct ... it's not multi jack it's tribu jack and it's 100 mg

• Posted

Initially when my symptoms were not fully controlled my betahistine dose was tripled to 48mg tds and subsequently to 64mg tds. If needed I can take even more - thankfully that has not been necessary. Herr Prof. Dr. med. Michael Strupp in Munich is the leading authority on this and as a result of his research has patients on amazingly high doses. I would suggest you discuss this option before reaching for gentamycin injections. Incidentally that seems to have fallen out of favour in the UK where steroid injections are preferred.
    • Posted

Hi Neddy. Unfortunately I am in the United States where Betahistine is NOT sold or prescribed. I got a prescription from my ENT and send away to Canada for it. My Dr. seems very hesitant to up my dose of Betahistine. I was taking 50 mgs per day and he cut me back to 25 mgs. If I want to up my own dose I have to cross into Mexico to buy in pharmacia, which can be very pricey.

Thank you for your concern in this matter. I have steered away from the injections after some research on the matter. I will look up Dr. Strupp and his research.

• Posted

If you google him you should find a Youtube video interview with him in English. Regarding dosage if you put "high dose betahistine (Serc)" into your search engine that should produce quite a lot of info.

Incidentally the max dose 'officially' recognised in the UK is still 16mg tds. My consultant says that level does not work and is little better than a placebo. Furthermore it takes at least a month to become fully effective when the dose is high enough. I am now in my second period of full remission (apart from low level tinnitus and hearing damage) and off drugs completely. I wish the same for all sufferers!!

PS I have just looked back at your first post re drop attacks - I have only had one near miss - I grabbed a nearby tree until the vertigo stopped. But it reminded me that up to 30% of sufferers go on to get BPPV. Has that issue been eliminated for you?

• Posted

For 20 years i suffered with the dizziness and nausea, and hearing loss, and tinnitus. Since I turned age 60 (this year) I have had 6 drop attacks. I just fall to the left and hit the ground, i have to wait for the dizziness and nausea to pass. meclazine helps me get back up. It happened while riding my horse, which is why I do not ride alone any more.

It is great to hear you are in remission, it really gives me hope for the future. I refuse to let it get the best of me and continue to live life to the fullest!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.