meniscal tear.

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have a meniscal tear and wondered if surgery is needed?

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hayley, the real question is how big a problem this is for you. My knee was unstable from a couple of meniscus tears. I had to have it repaired before I really hurt myself when it would pop going up and down stairs - which made more tears when it tried to buckle. I cannot bend my knee all the way now, nor can I kneel down, but my knee does not threaten to buckle on me. It also caused more arthritis in that joint. So, think about the problems the meniscus tear is giving you now.

• Posted

firstly, depends where the tear is ?medial or lateral and how bad the pain is. Obviuosly you have discovered you have a tear and your consultant should advise you. I have had several clients with meniscal tears and have gotten them through to heal without surgery. This can take between 1-3 months but even with surgery it can still take 1-3 mnhs afterwards. Personally would try to fix yourself if it is minor or medium, if your pain doesnt not heal at 6 weeks then i would go back to consultant because it may be worse than ou think.

Caution with bending the knee with weight bearing. swimming is good also an exercise bike as both keep the knee moving without weight bearing.

• Posted

Hi Thank you for your reply. I will try to find out if the tear is lateral or medial. The dr has been very unhelpful . My leg/knee gibes way and I am scared of losing my independence. Accident happened 3 years ago and still nil done .

I will get a copy of the MRI scan and take it from there going privately if necessary. xx

• Posted

depends on the damage done. i have one tkr and the other knee has torn meniscus tear for several years. started with physio therapy learned also exercises walking in water and all the help i could get to get my knee better. also knee sleeves and some knee support helps. also spring shoes are a big help they helped get the muscles and tendon in better shape. spring shoes take the pressure off each step per square inch from the knees and joints improve walking gate as the knee heals. inswear by spring shoes. been wearing spring shoes at home for the few days as needed and to improve pain while knee heals and get strong again. i also wear otc pain patch and ice. its only for a few weeks and it is a system that worked well for me. occasionally the knee acts up especially if it lift or push to heavy items or twist and start the routine again right away. its been my goto for several years mabe woth a try if it can help you to get your knee back to in shape depending on the exhisting damage. good luck

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I am going to follow what you have said. I also have a fractured fibula on the same leg.

The air boot is a hindrance in my opinion and has to be kept on for another 3 weeks.

I am unabable to mobilise due to the mediscal tear and having the air boot on is adding to the problems. Just do not know the answers anymore. xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.