Meniscus repair

Posted , 4 users are following.

I had meniscus surgery 13 days ago.  I have not had pain except for one night.  I am to use crutches for one month.  I can not use them so I have a walker with wheels and a seat.  I push my way around the house hopping on one leg when needed.  My problem is with my other leg. It has swelled up with a lump about two inches down from the knee.  Has any one else had this problem?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Something similar. I was immobilized without a knee for 4 months . had to use the walker as I was on 25% weight bearing most of the time. Then had the new prosthesis intalled and immobilized with limited weight bearin for 3 more weeks. Good knee suddenly became aggravated and painful. As i am working to rebuild the arophied leg I am starting to take a little pressure off the good one and some of the pain and banging around is becoming less. My physical therapist assures me in anothe couple of months , with work, it'll be back to its former self
    • Posted

Thanks for talking to me.  My problem is I am 73 and good health but I could not handle the crutches.  As I was trying to turn around I twisted my good  knee.  Sometimes I think the doctors say not to walk on your leg so the other one goes bad. I have a swollen spot on the front of my leg about two inches down from my knee.  I hope you have good luck with your therapist.  Thanks again
    • Posted

You are almost in the youngster catagory....I'll be 79 in Feb. Twisting or sudden reverse movement is really hard on the joint. As you have probably seen, my wife, same age, is in advancing stages of Parkinson's and with that comes the tendency to fall........backwards. With that you have a couple of formerly very active, hard working people, sort of shuffling along, taking forever to make a 180 degree turn . I'm sure people look at us when we are in public like we have been studying comedy by watching Charlie Chaplin movies but we do have to be very careful not to try and turn like otherwise normal folks.
  • Posted

This is what scares me crazy.. Both my hubby and I need to have meniscus surgery, I have fraying lateral meniscus and hubby has a full thickness tear, we are both 60..I don't work but hubby has to work for another 5 years as a plumber. So he is constantly kneeling...One surgeon said he would be out of work a week another said 2 weeks, then when I saw my orthopaedic surgeon who has done my hip replacements said to me I can give you a 100 reasons not to do arthroscopic surgery...so neither of us is keen to do this...I haven't heard of any one that's done this surgery and are walking normally in a week,I've already had 14 joint replacements and I don't want any more..but hubby needs to work he's self employed,.Kathryn,...I hope yours is soon much much better.
    • Posted

I would think twice before I would do this again. I didn't know about the one month no walking on it.  I think my leg will be fine.  I have a business so I can be out of work as long as I need to.  My problem is I some how hurt my other leg hopping around.  Between letting my dog out and feeding him and being 73 I go to the bathroom a lot I twisted my good leg.  It is swelled about two inches below my knee in the front of leg.. Before you have this done make sure you know recovery time.  Good luck to you and your husband.
  • Posted

Thanks Kathryn for your honest opinion. I did notice hubby had that knee guard thing on again, but he still walks the dogs every day even though he's been to work for 11 hours, so my way of thinking is if you can still get around and sleep at night, then leave well alone,

others have said that all it does is fast track you to a total knee replacement which I sure don't want, I had AVN of my joints.of course I don't know if that's true,.

the added worry is that my husband doesn't do as he's told, and if something is going to go wrong it will on him...

keep me posted with your recovery I hope it goes quickly and smoothly...

• Posted

It seems to me you may have aggravated bursitis from over

compasation. This is just my opinion as I've had this problem

too with my acls and menistectomy.

• Posted

That's what I was thinking also.  The swelling goes down when I ice it.  It seems  to be better since I am learning how to turn without twisting my good leg.   What is the treatment for bursitis?  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.