Meniscus repair - am I on the right track?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi all - 1st time I've posted and looking for advice please before I lose my mind!

January 5th - something so simple, slipped getting into my car and twisted my knee really bad, fast forward to Feb 15th and Im having knee surgery for what turned out to be a double meniscus tear on a discoid meniscus (lateral). They repaired it.

Between January and up to the surgery I was unable to walk without my leg buckling, and I was only allowed to start weight bearing again only 1 week ago. My leg has wasted away considerably and its really tough trying to walk any kind of distance without a sharp pain in the knee (which is subsiding a bit now) and up the back of my hamstrings. I don't feel like I am making any progress at all, I used to be so active and would walk miles every day but I have been house bound for almost 3 months and I really need to get out.

I honestly thought that once I was able to start weight bearing again I would be able to at least get some strength back, at least enough to start walking decently again - I dunno is 1 week just too soon for me to be worrying about this? Does anyone have any tales or advice that they have had when trying to rehab the leg? I am attending physio once a week but I need some reassurance that I'm on the right track (I hope I am).

thanks all - hope you can help.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

I had a surgery last year for a,ruptured tendon on my toe next to big toe.I was non weight bearing for 6 weeks.I also when was told I could put weight was so depressed because basically everything from my toe to my hip 2as so week I could barely walk.It took me at least 11/2 months to be back to normal.I did not just lay around I forced myself to do home,exercises and ride a,stationary bike.You can do it just takes patience and work.Good luck to you.I am also 5 week post o.o for a,total knee replacement same side this year lol

• Posted

Meniscus surgery is not a quick fix. Even with therapy it can take several months to get back to pain free use if the leg. Don't be misled by the term key hole surgery. There is a lot of stuff disturbed once the they get in there and start messing around. Listen to.yputvtherapist and do the exercises and don't be too anxious to overdo things.

• Posted

I had a meniscus repair in February 2015. I was told the rcobery would be 6 to 8 weeks in actual fact it was nearer to 6 months before everything was back to normal which for me was walking 5 miles several times a week. It just takes time and slowly building muscle again.

There are lots of videos on you tube which are very good showing small exercise regimes which specifically target your knee and all the muscles surrounding it.

you will get there must be patient. Good luck

• Posted

I had this procedure in 1990. The repair lasted 26 years. It does take some time to get back to normal. In 2017 I had to have TKR but got some real distance out of the meniscus repair. Hang in there it will get better.
  • Posted

I had meniscus repair and suffered mentally and physically until I traveled out of town to get PT. PT taught me excercises to do, it took two weeks to get strength in my knee, I was amazed. i did 7 excercises at 15 reps for two weeks! My spirits were back up. I too was very active and not being able to do anything took its toll on my mind. Thing to keep telling yourself, “this is temporary” from some of the stories here, it could take up to 1 year or longer to fully recover.  I had to learn “patience”.  Now i had a set back, my knees started locking up in my sleep, painful to go through, it’s like having an MUA without anesthesia! I’m back on pain meds before I go to bed. and do my PT but I feel like this set me back. Now i’m schedule for a mri to see what may be causing the locked knee. 

I hope this helps, my heart goes out to all that suffer with knee surgery.  I stopped comparing myself to others, that can really mess up your mind. 

• Posted

I had two meniscus repairs...one each side.  In both cases, I had the surgery on a Friday, iced and elevated over the weekend, strapped on my CryoCuff (AirCast) on Monday morning and took my ice bucket to work.  Yeah, need a crutch/cane for a week but after that I was OK.  Quad/glute/core atrophy is minimal in the 7-10 day period so it was easy to exercise the leg and be back to normal fairly quickly.  Had a TKR two years ago...that is a whole different animal.  Immense pain and a one year recovery.  Ouch...
  • Posted

Appreciate all the replies so far!

Here's the thing, I am flying to the States in 5 weeks for my wedding - and truth be told im not bothered about being able to run around or squat etc, that will take as long as it takes but I really would like to be walking fairly decent for the big day and also enjoy the holiday while im there (which from experience does require lots of walking although I will have plenty of rest breaks). Here is the timeline my OS gave me after the surgery:-

T scope brace for 3 weeks with partial weight bearing

Full weight bearing after 3 weeks

Cycling, Swimming and rowing if safe after 6  weeks

no loading in flexion for 6 months

I've just started week 5 today. In theory if im cleared to start cycling and swimming in another 2 weeks then surely walking some semi decent distances (a few miles) should be achievable before April 18th... right?

• Posted

OK, so here is an update for anyone who is interested.

6 weeks post double meniscus tear repair - I am now walking with a minimal limp and I can walk some decent distances without stopping for a rest (about 3-4 miles at the moment) so I'm please with this. Physio has also confirmed that she is happy for me to start swimming again (no breaststroke though) and today I started on the stationary bike without any problems.

Main issue at the moment is walking down stairs - almost there but not quite, another week or so and I think this will also be checked off. Still quite stiff in my knee with some effusion still present but this should subside over time and also get better when I can further strengthen my leg.

Thanks for the support smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.