Meniscus root repair

Posted , 5 users are following.

Two weeks today I had meniscus root repair. I am currently on crutches for 6-8 weeks with no pressure on my leg at all. My day is pretty much elevate the leg, ice the leg, do the exercises permitted twice a day. Each week my leg brace is put to a different degree so I learn to bend my knee again. It stays locked straight unless I'm bending my knee to the degree twice a day. This is quite painful and the atrophy to my quadricep is substantial. My pt and ortho Doctor say this is of the norm. This has been a very difficult experience so far and wondered if anyone has had this procedure done. I know it's a fairly new procedure that does not have a lot of studies yet to the outcomes.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Wow, no experience of that but certainly some overlap with the post TKR experience in some respects. Hopefully someone will have some experience. Til then best wishes, and a lot of patience to you!
    • Posted

Thanks Jenny, I opted this route due to no arthritis and to help me avoid a knee replacement any sooner than need be. I'm 47 and was thrilled I could get a repair but even as a very active athlete this has been very challenging.

• Posted

I had a meniscus tear repair via a scoping years ago...nothing like this.  

Yes, if you're off your feet and non-weight bearing for a while, your quads, glutes and core will atrophy.  Your hamstrings will get very tight.  Here's the post-TKR exercise program that I recommend to everyone on the TKR forum...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/post-tkr-exercising-565527

You might find it helpful in regaining your strength once you have your 0 / +120 ROM back.  That comes first...then the strengthening.  For us, it takes a long time with that 2 1/2-pound chunk of metal inside our legs.  Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Chico Marx, thank you for the exercise program. I am a very active athlete and I'm definetly going a little crazy not being able to workout. I know the importance of this healing process and hope I can find someone who has or is going through the same procedure. I would like to see pros and cons of the outcomes for getting back to athletics.

• Posted

As noted in the discussion, my daughter is a graduate nutritionist and a certified personal trainer by the American College of Sports Medicine (two-year program) and the American Council on Exercise (16 specialties).  She's the real expert on this stuff.  If we hypothetically compare the two ops and the resulting atrophy, the big caveat is not to do too much too fast.  Surest way to get the knee to swell and set you back.

Most of all, listen to your body and take care of it.  Don't let your head set unrealistic expectations.  Better to take your time getting back to normal than rushing it and do more damage.  With that knee, you will NOT be squatting 300 pounds or running a 5K anytime soon.  Slow and easy.  Be good to your knee...

• Posted

I do realize this is going to be a slow process. I see a pt 3 times a week and it definetly has kept me on track. Getting in the right state of mind has sure been tough. I tore my medial meniscus root off the tibia completely on a treadmill. The procedure my MD performed was drilling 2 separate tunnels that extended down to the anteromedial portion of the tibia, tying 2 sue tires through the torn meniscal root and shuttling them down the tibial tunnels and tying the sutures over a surgical button on the tibia. I understand I will not get back to exactly where I used to be.
    • Posted

That's probably the hardest thing to accept.  After my hip replacement, I asked the doc when I could get back on my skates (45 years of hockey).  Laughed is a$$ off.  Told me that if I went back, the hip would last 3 years; give up the sport and it would last 25.  No brainer mentally but emotionally devastating.

Even now with the TKR, there are severe restrictions on pounding (running) or torquing (skiing) the knee.  Just have to eventually accept it and move on.  I'm thinking cutthroat shuffleboard...  

• Posted

Yes I was told no more running, which is how I hurt myself on the treadmill. Was not my favorite to begin with but as an extremist I have to have variety in my cardio and it has to be intense. I love to spin which seems to be something I will be able to continue but my passion is bodybuilding. This seems to be something I'm going to have to adjust. This injury has showed me I need to slow down and not be so intense in my workouts. Now the cutthroat shuffleboard sounds interesting 😜

• Posted

Didn't you have to give up the 5" heels as well and just stick to no more than one inch.

I know I had to after the 5th or 6th surgery. Sure messed up my social life

• Posted

Hi my name is Virginia, I'm about to have the same surgery (posterior medial meniscus complete tear), and I'm 53 years old. I'm so terrifying about the surgery and still not sure if I should move forward with it. I can walk, sit, going up/down stairs, only mild pain around knee occasionally. I'm so afraid the surgery will cause more pain than before the surgery. I know you had the op 5 years ago. May I ask if you're glad you did the surgery? Thank you. and sorry for my poor English.

• Posted

Due to a staph infection I had my knee in a brace w/toe touch weight bearing and a starting point of O bend. Slowly it was increased to 25. This was after having a prosthesis removed and 8 weeks of antibiotic infusion (twice a day, every day). After 4 months of this I had to go through having the prosthesis reintroduced and a different style brace put in place for three more weeks before starting PT and I was 76 years old and had gone through 8 surgeries on my knee/leg prior to that. Atrophy, you better believe it but you'll be surprised how fast you'll get back with good therapy and the proper work ethic. Pain..hell yes it will hurt but give yourself time, do the program, stay well hydrated and you'll make it. If you are a person who wants it now, this will teach you a level of patience you never imagined. Good luck

• Posted

Wowzers! You sure have gone through a lot! i guess I need to understand time IS on my side. I need to take a deep breath, do my exercises as instructed, don't get ahead of myself. It sure is hard when your mind/body are feeling good but your laid up just the same waiting, waiting and waiting some more. I am an extremely active athlete and out of all my training I must say this is my hardest workout yet! Lol thankful at my age of 47(f) my knee was is good shape they were able to repair it. Hope this slows down the progression of arthritis so I can continue an active lifestyle for many years to come. Thank you for your encouraging words and your story. I am grateful to have found this forum to help through my difficult days.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.