Meniscus root repair

Posted , 3 users are following.

Two weeks today I had meniscus root repair. I am currently on crutches for 6-8 weeks with no pressure on my leg at all. My day is pretty much elevate the leg, ice the leg, do the exercises permitted twice a day. Each week my leg brace is put to a different degree so I learn to bend my knee again. It stays locked straight unless I'm bending my knee to the degree twice a day. This is quite painful and the atrophy to my quadricep is substantial. My pt and ortho Doctor say this is of the norm. This has been a very difficult experience so far and wondered if anyone has had this procedure done. I know it's a fairly new procedure that does not have a lot of studies yet to the outcomes.

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hello

I did not have my meniscus repaired I had the ruptured part of my medial and lateral meniscus cut away one of them being a root. I guess that's why I didn't have to be in a locked brace. But I am 8 weeks post op and am now getting around with a defiance acl brace because yeah that's ruptured too. It does get better!! Therapy is a life saver. I think I am to the point I'm going to be I still have to get ACL repaired.

• Posted

Hi Michele,

Was the root unable to repair? It's a very tedious recovery. The non weight bearing for 6-8 weeks is brutal as a very active person. I religiously do my exercises and pt 3 times a week. This is definitely a must for faster and more effective recovery. Thanks for your reply. 😃 Hope everything goes well for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.