Meniscus tear

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Tore my meniscus in my right knee 2 days ago. Still got some swelling in the knee but pretty much have full range of motion, although it is painful when it is straight. Does anyone know roughly how long it takes until you're able to walk with no pain? Going on holiday in 13 days so I'm just a little worried about that.

Thanks

James

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi James, it depends where the tear is and how big it is. Have you been to your doctor? If you look online for exercises for meniscus injuries and pick a couple to do that may help. I tore my meniscus over a year ago and still have pain when walking especially after psyio & exercise.
  • Posted

Hi James,

i tore my meniscus in my right knee.  Pain was pretty bad, it kept "locking" and I couldn't move for a minute or so, which was a bugger, as I worked in a hospital as a Wardie and pushed patients on beds all day.  I actually had an arthroscopy operation and got the tear fixed.  2 weeks off work, back about a week, and restore it.  Didn't get it fixed again.  It can take a while for the pain to go but I needed a bilateral knee replacement badly so couldn't tell which was causing the pain.

i doubt this helps you, I'm sorry.  I just know it's painful for quite a while.  Good luck with everything. X

• Posted

That was meant to say "retore" not " restore".  Damn predictive text lol
  • Posted

Did you not ask your doctor,, .  Think 6 weeks before being in a comfortable position and that is if you are being sensible.  When out and about try wearing a support, helps your stability and confidence
  • Posted

Hi James

I could walk on mine more or less straight away but when I went back to work after a month my problems started.

With hindsight, I now wish I hadn't walked so far, just done the exercises.

How old are you, by the way

• Posted

I'm 19. Its day 3 and its still swollen but is less painful now. I can walk with pain only when the knee when it is straight, weight bearing doesn't hurt at all. 
    • Posted

At 19 I reckon you'll have no problem with the op as there won't be any signs of arthritis that us own uns have.

I worked with a bloke years ago who'd had the more complicated version of the op when he was your age and it was no problem.

He had it again in his early 60s....no good.

Age is the key.....good luck anyway

• Posted

I'm also having problems getting the swelling down. Had my knee elevated with ice on it for last 3 days. If I've not got ice on it I've got some tubigrip wrapped round it. Not really seen any decrease in swelling. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    • Posted

You cannot rush this.  Holiday or not there is nothing much you can do about it, except be sensible. You can still go on holiday but the hi jinx and silly stuff is out of the window. Sometimes watching others being silly can be more fun than actually being silly yourself.  Be positive. You can still go in the water. You can still drink..... But take crutches with you. You just may end up having more fun that your friends!!!!
  • Posted

1st of all don't self diagnose if that's what you are doing. You need an MRI and a complete diagnosis as well as treatment plan and prognosis. I might be minor and only require rest and physical therapy. On the other hand it could be a complete tear and need surgery and complete rehab. I would suggest you stay off of it until you get the medical attention it needs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.