Menopausal Frozen Shoulder

Posted , 99 users are following.

Any ladies with frozen shoulder who are peri menopausal/menopausal and not on HRT should have a serious chat with a (preferably female) GP.

I suffered for ages (two male GP's dismissed the idea of it being hormonal) before being diagnosed with menopausal adhesive capsulitis by a Nurse Practitioner who researched the subject for her thesis. This is also sometimes known as menopausal tendonitis/arthritis. After a month of being on conjugated estrogen (Prempak C) it is like someone has 'oiled' my shoulder. I felt like I had completely seized up and my bicep and shoulder muscle were like concrete. I am now able to do gentle exercises to free the adhesion, and can now lift my arm (impossible for months) to wash and dry my hair/shave under arms etc. Estrogen is the WD40 of the body, and without it, in some women the soft connective tissue goes hard and brittle. Not all women suffer from joint/connective tissue problems in menopause,. but interesting it is usually the ladies who were a bit smug, because they got got to 50/55 ish with no real symptoms or hot flushes - then bam, being hit like a ton of bricks with frozen shoulder. I also had stiffness and pain in the other shoulder, other large joints, elbows and fingers. Mornings were terrible, it could take up to ten minutes to actually get OUT of bed, and sleep? Forget it, being woken with shoulder pain every half an hour.

HRT is not for everyone, but AC was ruining my life. Given that the prognosis for recovery can be up to seven years ...I decided the risk was worth it.

i would never EVER have thought that simple 'hormones' could cause so much pain and change me from being a fairly fit 50 year old into a crippled 90 year old.

Google menopausal frozen shoulder/menopausal tendonitis/arthritis and go and see your GP ladies!!

14 likes, 270 replies

270 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I ended up here after looking up "frozen shoulder moving to elbow." Ironically, I *just* used my progesterone cream w/ a muscle relief essential oil blend on my elbow and wrist. Instinct?  2-3 years ago, I first started developing frozen shoulder and didn't know what it was until I got an MRI and evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon. I had been under chiropractic care for a couple of years, and had switched to a new one who finally listened to me that sent me for eval. I believe it was the acupuncture she was using on me (no needles, but electric pulse) that made the shoulder problem go away gradually. This basically worked by being adjusted and also relaxing that muscle that comes from the neck. However, another piece that might help you all is trigger point therapy, which I've also been using on my own at home. This was confirmed by yet another chiropractor who did not treat me, but was the brother of my first chiro (I didn't know it until we were deep in conversation!) and he utilized trigger points in his practice and he confirmed what I had been figuring out. He even said that many people have been having unnecessary shoulder surgeries when trigger point therapy is all they need. You can look on youtube for trigger point therapy for frozen shoulder. Basically you use a massage ball (similar to lacrosse ball) to rub out sensitive spots on your neck, scapula, and might as well find anymore that you have while you're at it. Any spot that hurts when you barely touch it is a trigger spot. This has been a lifesaver for me. 

However, my elbow is now hurting, as well as my wrist. I am only 45 but have been going through the change for about 7 years. So I'm going to ramp up on my natural hormone creams and see if that helps the other joints that are starting to bark. 

I hope this helps someone!

• Posted

Hi Evie, just wondering if the progesterone cream worked for you, it wasnt very clear so I really want to know so i can try it myself.

Also where do you buy it from?

Thanks a lot and wishing you all the very best.

• Posted

I am 47 and a fit and healthy yoga teacher. I am in peri-menopause and have not had a period for 9 months. I haven't suffered many traditional menopausal symptoms apart from a few months of hot flushes.

Over the summer just before my period stopped, I had gout (random sharp pains) in my toes for about 6 weeks. 

Three months ago I started to develop a frozen shoulder.

I am also waking up wired at 3am. When I am tired at about 9pm I feel twitchy.

Physio has not helped and I am sure all of these things are linked to hormones.

Does anyone have a similar experience?  

• Posted

Not sure if the Gout is connected but a lot of us are convinced about the links between hormones and frozen shoulder.  Many experts say that aggresive physio can make things worse, in the freezing stage,

My husband has been prone to bouts of Gout for the last decade.  It is caused by a build up of Urea crystals in the joint, which cause the inflamation and pain - typically starting in the big toe but progressing to other joints.  When we analysed when he was prone to bouts, they often co-incided with times of travel when he'd not had enough to drink - i'e concentrated urine, urea not being flushed out.  What has worked well for him in keeping episodes at bay, is a concious effort to ensure he never gets dehydrated and also 500mg vitamin C every day, which seems to help too.

• Posted

Hi Lesley998,  I am 56 and suffering from Frozen Shoulder.   I had not problems going thru menopause [no hot flashes etc.]   I have had the FS in both side but my left side is not free from siffness and aches.   Are you still on HRT ?  If not how long did you take it to get cured from your Frozen Shorlder ?  Is there a Hormone test I should have ny Doctor do ?  Thanks in advance for your Help 
  • Posted

I agree with you!

Had a my last functioning ovary out a year ago and my dud other one left in. And Bam

Instant menopause and I too felt like a 90year old! Within a few months. I didn't realize the ovary that I still had wasn't producing any more.

I honestly thought I would be in a wheelchair by the time I was 50.

(I'm 46)

I didn't make the connection at first.

I wasn't experiencing any other menopausal symptoms.

Then one day I decided to take the HRT I was prescribed after my surgery,because I was desperate and within a month my back was 90%better!

But... I also had a frozen shoulder.

I started taking the HRT right when my shoulder started and I have to say my shoulder is not severe. I can lift it to horizon position , wash my hair and still work normally (I'm a dental assistant)

I have to be careful tho and the constant pain is gone.

My Massage therapist says I have a mild case. I think it's PROBABLY BECAUSE I TAKE HRT!!

After reading your post I'm convinced our hormones play a big roll in frozen shoulder!!

It's too bad out Doctor don't seem to know a lot about it.

And my massage therapist doesn't know a lot about back/joint pain associated with hormones.

Thank you for your post

Toni

• Posted

Menopause and complete hysterectomy causes hormone trouble!  Strange that so many women start with their frozen shoulders at around this time.  I'm not saying that lack of hormones actually causes it - but I'm sure there is some sort of link.

• Posted

Not that strange. Oestrogen is heavily involved in the maintenance of cartilage and bones. So when levels of it fall in menopause, we are bound to start ceasing up! HRT doesn't always make a difference. I think it may be the synthetic nature of most HRT. Our bodies don't respond to it the same as bioidentical HRT. Just such a shame it's not available on the NHS.

• Posted

I was trying to be ironic when I said "strange" - doesn't always work on the web!  I agree with what you say - but there are a lot of myths and hype about "bio-identical" HRT.  Certainly in regards to oestrogen, estradiol, the ingredient in most HRT pills and patches (in the UK, at least), is identical to human hormones, unlike Premarin which is made from pregnant mare's urine.  I think there are more issues with Progesterone - but as I don't need this, I don't know much about it.

I started my frozen shoulder after trying to come off HRT and since restarting, have generally felt much better. I think I'm starting with a second frozen shoulder now but I'm only on half the original HRT dose now, which in addition to any of my own remaining hormone levels depleting further perhaps isn't enough.  As my doctor would prefer me to come off, now I'm 60, I don't think she would be too keen to increase the dose - besides, maybe the damage has already been done.  

Too many doctors just dismiss any link out of hand - I just wish they would do some proper research.

• Posted

Sorry I missed the irony - not at my brightest in the morning, especially when the health centre has sent all the wrong meds for mum and someone has delivered a digger, to move some stone, a day early, waaah?😨

Agree doctors need to keep up with what's happening out in the real world!

• Posted

Wow! I had NO IDEA this was so common. I had no idea of ANY relationship between my shoulders and hormones. I had hysterectomy years ago. 2002, 15 years ago. Frozen shoulder on the right 2012, on the left 2014. And I wad horrified that it could happen twice! Horrified! I had 2 surgeries because I refused to wait out that pain and disability for 7 years! However now, I'm finding I'm getting very sore in both shoulders and sleep definitely is interrupted AGAIN! And reading your information is frustrating me more now, due to horrible side effects caused by Estrogen!

• Posted

Hi Mommoore, I was wondering how you are doing now. 

I too had a hysterectomy years ago but was on HRT for years.  Stopped that and went on bio-identical hormones for years, then kind of tapered off and was inconsistent with them.  Have been more religious about it since I got the FS, but I have two frozen shoulders right now, the left about a year in and the right a couple of months. The left has gotten much better on its own with basically just managing the pain and waiting, the right is in the freezing stage, excruciating!  

I hope your shoulders calmed down and the pain went away on its own.  What did you decide about HRT?  Thanks.

• Posted

Hi Lesley, I know it has been quite a long time since your post, but I was hoping you might be able to help with some advice.

I am a 63 year young plant-based, slim woman who has enjoyed an active life, lots of walking, yoga and dancing.  11 months ago I developed a frozen shoulder on my left side, the pain was brutal as you know.  I opted to do basically nothing except manage the pain and move it as I could, and the pain has greatly diminished, ROM has improved somewhat.  Now I have FS in my right shoulder, the pain is excruciating, down my arm, across both trapezius muscles, down my upper back.  It has been relentless.  Also, a few months ago I would wake up with painful hands, which has progressively gotten worse.

I suspected hormones as an issue, I have been on a "natural" estrogen and progesterone cream and I take DHEA as well.  I am wondering what my options are for HRT that don't entail chemicals if possible.

How are you doing all of these years later?  Have you found the holy grail or hormone replacement?  Thank you so much for sharing your story.

• Posted

Hi CynCash,

Just wondering if your Frozen Shoulders have thawed, nine minths later? Are you still on natural estrogen and progesterone cream and DHEA?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.