menopause

Posted , 16 users are following.

Does anyone else suffer from health anxiety thinking they have awful things wrong with them all the time and think there must be something else going on as all these symptoms are so horrible ? It,s awful.

4 likes, 63 replies

63 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi lou86

Yep. Do it a lot. But I don't max out over it generally:  I think its part and parcel of me being a very healthy hyperchondriac - always have been, probably always will be!!!

Having said that, I felt a bit OTT on Monday. My husband had a day surgery 35miles away. Our son drove us.......do you see where this is leading?!!

I'm not a fan of motorways, don't like going fast, and probably not very good when I sit in the back. So I spent the journey there with my eyes closed, doing some 'breathing' techniques.  My son drove mainly in the faster, outside lane which I hate, and I can tell you, me and his dad were glad to get to the hospital!!!

I know my anxiety was largely due to having a 'heavy' day. If you're like me, on those days you either stay in or plan journies around the nearest loo!  That day was no exception. Thankfully we were there within 45mins, as it was my day for 'on the hour, every hour' changing.  Great day for it, thats for sure!

Well we all got from A to B. My husband is recovering. Our son will probably never, ever volunteer to drive us two anywhere, ever again.......and I for one will live with that!!

I concluded that (a) although i can drive, I hate driving, (b) I hate arrogant, t*sser drivers on motorways(!), and (c) I only really like my husband's driving:  I'm a great passenger with him! 

As for the health anxieties: they pass. Because I never go to my GP, I self-diagnose, or I just forget to 'think' about it.  But the real reason I rarely go to my GP, is, in truth, I'm rarely ill! 

I can't tell you how to get yourself out of your anxiety, other than to breath deeply, think nice thoughts, and remind yourself that the Peri/Meno brings us all sorts to deal with, and that feeling this anxiety is one of those symptoms.

But if you feel that you are really struggling with these anxieties, you should go see your GP, as only you know 'You', and can see how these things affect your quality of life.

(Funny, as I'm really good at telling others to seek help, maybe because I know I'm justing 'over-thinking' something, but I can appreciate it doesn't mean that its the same for everyone else!)

As others have said, a good GP will rule out other factors rather than just pooh-pooh you away.

Cheer Up Lou. I can see you've had a great number of replies. Nice to feel you're not alone here.

Sx 

• Posted

Thanks for that and I do feel better I admit reading other people's journeys and knowing things are just as hard for them makes me sad that others are suffering just as much and more, so I really need to get a grip and sort myself out - thanks for everything and hope you're ok x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.