Menopause

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello Anybody

I am now 75 years old, and still suffering what I think is Menopausal Symptoms.  Hot flushes I can deal with, but I get what I call "pre-flush stabbing pains".  Doctor does not seem to have the answer.  At 50 years old I started on HRT and was allowed to stay on it for 15 years.  I have always experienced these "stabbing pains", which I liken to a "voodoo doll".  Is there no end to this discomfort/suffering?  I battle these pains constantly, but somehow still manage to love fashion, make-up etc, and my hobbies of writing and gardening etc.  Can anyone else identify with my post.  Thanks.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello there I can sort of relate to your problems although I'm slightly younger than you (53) and I am in surgical menopause and it's absoloutley horrible, I have no " bits " left and am not on HRT dur to migraines, I get horrible stabbing pains before a flush which is almost all the time, usually around rib area and sometimes in my tummy and bottom and it's makes me feel so sick and nauseous, do you get this may I ask ? Then it goes away and comes back again, so fed up! If this is what it's goi g to be like for years and years to come I do t know what I'll do, also may I ask you if you put any weight on around your middle area in menopause, as I am sudden shock meno everything has come at once, fatigue , spaced out , dstarched from reality like I'm not here and very bad health anxiety, it's just so nasty 😢x
    • Posted

Hi Lou. "detatched from reality like I'm not here"...that's one of the worst for me. Also the anxiety & depression. Though not sugical I am having the sudden shock variety too. I'm 47(The past 8 months has been pure torment on every level) Everything at once..honestly feel like i nearly died a few times.) Discovered I have low B12 so i've started on those 3 weeks ago, & I think I'm starting to be more stable. Doc thinks I'll probably have to have injections, but got to wait another 3 months for more tests. Oh the waiting game... such fun! xx
    • Posted

Yes know what you mean the depression is hard to deal with, maybe it's due to the anxiety, also I think that every little extr symptom is something major that I'll die from - too scared to go to GP again as last time he just smiled when I said how bad I feel, like you I do think I'm lacking in lots of things , glad they found your low B12 at least hopefully you will feel better soon. K ow what you mean also about the dieting feeling , I ha e the odd panic attack as well and that's exactly how I feel when I have one, I wonder what to do to feel better but it's hard hearing bad things when you have health anxiety on top of everything else, all this has happened since surgery I was fine before and it's really really hard xx 😢
    • Posted

Hello Lou

I was interested to read your post, and I can comment as follows:

The stabbing pains stared at the age of 50 (first sign that the menopause was about to begin).  HRT fielded off many of the symptoms mto a degree, but I still felt that I was suffering unduly.

Nowadays I ge the stabbing pains randomly in my body/head.  Very sharp....and then some "wiggly" pains, as though I can feel the blood going the vessels!  They do make me feel momentarily nauseous.

Some days are better than others.  I do take a medication called Chlonidine (Dixarit) which is supposed to relax the blood vessels.

On to the question you asked. 

Yes...weight gain can be quite significant.....especially around the waistline and bust and shoulder areas.  This is apparently to do with hormone changes and is quite difficult to shift.

Then on the other subject....anxiety!  Yes, the spaced-out, fatigue,

lack of concentration etc, is, I think mainly due to anxiety. ( I do read and post on the Anxiety Site), and is something of a separate issue, yet connected as well, if this makes sense.  Anyway, I am only to willing to "chat" anytime.  Good Luck....from One Who Knows! lol.

• Posted

Thank you for that, I also get those wiggly pains as well usually in my head, almost like Mother Nature is saying " if you think that episode of pain is over here's a little reminder ! ". It's awful to think that after all those years you've had of symptoms you are still suffering, that's not fair is it, I have recently changed my diet and cut out wheat , additives, gluten,  read and potatoes following the Foodmap diet mainly for bloating which also is awful - I swell up from under the bust which is uncomfortable to say the least, another horrid symptom - did or do you ever get that ? Questions questions I am sorry ! It's helpful to talk to you as you are probably more knowledgeable than me ! I am trying so hard to pick phone up to make appointment with GP but because of my health anxiety it's so hard, I had hysterectomy 20 years ago and 18 months ago had last ovary removed due to large 20cm cyst that was not diagnosed by GP despite numerous visits to doctor, this has left me very scared of all things medical even the thought of a medical instrument or a green gown sends me into a panic, I have been discharged from hospital now which is great news as I was having regular internal scans , just as well as the last one was done by a man and I had a panic attack on the hospital bed and couldn't breathe through sheer fear, so I'm quite a hopeless case really !! Xx
    • Posted

Hello lou,

No, No, you are not a hopeless case, just one of us "unlucky ones who get awful symptoms",

With regard to the bloating feeling you get, I get something similar, just below the bust line/upper tummy area.  This is where I put on the most weight too!  I try to eat less carbs/stodgy foods, because the bloated feeling turns to indigestion/heartburn.

I felt quite relieved that you mentioned "wiggly pains" as I have not yet met/spoken with anyone who can identify with this! 

I have replied also to Sue who kindly posted in reply to me.  It may just help to read that, althought it may sound a bit ME! ME! ME!  Not meant too,I assure you.....just a tiny bit of encouragement...  Good Luck!

• Posted

Dear CruiseLady, what a wonderful inspiration you are, you give hope to me and others to try to be strong and positive, thank you for that - I truly hope things become easier for you and you sound like you find so much joy in your family and grandchildren , we have to be strong for them don't we, I also have grandchildren three in fact , a darling little girl who is only 5 months old who I adore , it's heartwarming talking to people here and it helps us all to co e to terms with what's happening to us and we are not on our own, hopefully one day all our anxieties and fears will go away as quickly as they came and Mother Nature will give us all a break ! ! Huge hugs to you (( x ))
  • Posted

Hi there just when i think ive read it all about this wretched condition i read about a lady in her 70s still suffering and yet another horrible symptom. Oh dear where does it end i ask myselfe, its all so very unfair. i hope you find something to bring relief all of you that are suffering from these nauseous stabbing pain sensations.

Sue x

• Posted

Hello Sue

Thanks for your kind words.....the only consolation that I find these days is that people tell me I look nowhere near my age!  I am not boasting, just thankful that due to my mother's inherited genes and maybe HRT then luckily that is how they see me. (I don't always feel much self-confidence I might add, due to lifelong anxiety as well).  So I would say to any lady who is suffering long term with menopausal symptoms, try to look good to the outside world.  That does help with confidence.  My grand-daughter is a hairdresser, so I am lucky enough to be able  to have modern, coloured styles...and I love modern clothes.  INot mutton-dressed-as lamb, though).  And heels!

These words are only meant as encouragement to anyone else,  Self-esteem is so important to ladies, (Not always easy to achieve)... It does help with the awful symptoms some of us experience.  Thanks to everyone. Good Luck!

• Posted

Well good on you and i fully agree with your words hear as i wont gow old gracefully either, still have past shoulder length hair, dye my roots, wear full make up and dress youngish but not muttton dressed as lamb and like you no heels. Yes i suffer from anxiety but being told i look a lot younger for my age keeps me going! im 64 had five sons and grand baby number 14 due in end of August

Sue

• Posted

Hello Sue

Glad to hear your comments...Love them!   Yes! we have to keep up the good work in spite of everything.  Like you, I have a large family, and they DO spoil me.  Bless!  So we are very lucky in some ways!  Always chat if you feel like it.  Keep smiling!

• Posted

Morning again,Cruise lady, i cant keeping calling you cruise lady lol! i know you can have private chats on hear by sending private messages but i cant work out how? Do you know?

Sue

• Posted

Hello Sue

Good to hear from you this morning.  When I joined this site some time ago everyone seemed to have pseudonyms, and my chosen ID user name was CruiseLady because my husband and I have enjoyed many cruise holidays.  My name is Monica, and I live in the East Midlands now, although I was born in Winchester, Hampshire.  I have seen others say they will PRIVATE MESSAGE , but not sure how at the moment.  Will investigate later today.  Enjoy the week-end, although rain is forecast!  Keep smiliing.  Monica.

• Posted

Hi Monica thanks for reply, having a late lunch now then up mums for the weekend

be back Monday Yes rain forcasted hear to in the South East Sussex but hey keep smiling a.!

Sue

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.